Winching Question

Submitted: Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 15:37
ThreadID: 19368 Views:2262 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This photo was posted elsewhere
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rwindeyer/post/recover.jpg

If you take away the tow truck... and you were attempting to winch this out backwards. How would you stop the winch cable digging into the hill?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 15:53

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 15:53
try and run the cable over a log?
AnswerID: 93071

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 16:31

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 16:31
Thats a real difficult situation to winch from for a normal ol 4x4 front mounted winch.. If you were not pulling from the absolute top of the hill in a direct line you would be wasting of lot of energy straight into the earth...
I can picture at least 2 snatchblocks... I have always been a little over careful though...So probably one...
So yes i would sit right at the top of the hill with somebody i trusted on the other end of a uhf with a good foot with the brakes in the injured car...And nearer the top then i would be backing back in low range 1st gear... Or something close to that affect...
AnswerID: 93076

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 16:43

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 16:43
Having a second look at the photo... It is a very daunting angle.. Very steep... I am not sure it would be a 4x4 recovery...
FollowupID: 352073

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 19:38

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 19:38
Voxson,
I think you're probably right about it being a daunting task for a 4x4.
However, providing you had a powerful enough winch, I believe it could be done.......but unlike you've suggested about being near the top of the bank, I'd do the opposite..........
I'd be getting back as far from the edge of the bank as the winch rope would allow using as many snatch blocks as I could lay my hands on. I'd also be either
(a) attaching a winch extension strap, doubled over, to 2 separate recovery points on the back of the GU...or
(b) using my 5m drag chain attached to the GU.

That way the chain or strap would be taking the brunt of the effort on the bank. If using the winch extension strap I'd be placing a tarp/rug/carpet square etc under it.

The reason I said I'd pay-out as much cable as possible is that the winch is at it's most efficient (ie: powerful) when it is on it's first reel on the drum.

The weight of the GU (about 2.5t if unladen) would effectively be considerably more given the need to overcome the "gravity effect".

I wouldn't try the recovery with my 9000lb winch, even with snatch blocks. However, I reckon a 12,000lb unit would do the job.

The issue of the angle wouldn't worry all that much, the winch would be pulling virtually flat if it was back say 10 to 15 metres. Conversely, if the vehicle was parked at the top of the bank, it would be pulling straight down and the front suspension would be taking the full 2.5tonne.

Just my thoughts....
FollowupID: 352110

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 17:40

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 17:40
That looks like a current model Patrol being pulled up the hill. Short of driving down there to retrieve a stricken yota, one wonders what happened to driver and passengers.

I would have dragged the sttel cable thru the dirt rather than over the end of the trailer at such an angle. Even dragging over 2.3 logs on the edge, better still if they could rollwith the rope over them, thatd be a safer/better pull methinx.

Is it a Patrol?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 352259

Reply By: slyonnet - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 17:50

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 17:50
That's a real tricky one and I would not like to end up in that situation.
I can't really think of anything else than what the other said but I'm sure our friend Lucky Vic will have the answer. He is so knowledgeable on every subject that I can't wait to see his reply to that post (let's not forget he's the manager of a Toyota dealer, ect..). LOL.

Sorry if I unleash the beast by writing this but I could not resist.
AnswerID: 93093

Reply By: StormyKnight - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 21:11

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 21:11
I'd suggest you would have to anchor yourself. Put a chain between you & the car & use your winch to pull yourself towards a big tree. As the vehicle comes up the angle of the chain will improve & the effect load drop as the vehicle goes from vertical to horizontal, likewise the power of the winch will drop as it winds on.

Just a thought if you had all the gear.

Stormy
AnswerID: 93132

Reply By: 80GGD - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 10:57

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 10:57
Where did this photo happen and what was the story behind it???
AnswerID: 93218

Reply By: fozzy - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:22

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:22
attatch the winch and wind in with the driver of other vehicle reversing to assist pull. for a short extraction like that a steel winch cable would be fine over the dirt/rock but if you had the plasma rope i guess you may be in trouble. gees if you fray a bit of cable its still cheaper and easier than paying for tray truck recovery.
if one vehichles winch is not enough power then use two winching together or like roachie suggested snatch blocks.
what is concern re cable touching ground?????
AnswerID: 93529

Sponsored Links