How do you spot a one-eyed GME user?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 20:29
ThreadID: 19381 Views:2633 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Easy, let me tell you how!

Whilst up on the Oodnadatta Track last week, my old Phillips FM 320 died.
I could get signals out, but not back in, and it was making my small hand-held unit behave strange as well.

Upon arrival back in Adelaide, I stopped at a well know ( to us Adelaidian’s ) two way radio shop, and purchased a new GME Electrophone 3400, along with a remote speaker.

I installed it last Saturday, and works a treat, but wamted to be sure that I had done everthing correctly. I made an appointment to see a service guy at this shop where I had bought it for 1830 hour last night ( Thursday ).

Got there a little early, and he was on his meal break, so, seeing this place is right next door to Macca’s, thought I would do the same. Large fries & Deli Choice Vegie Roll. Roll was almost impossible to open, and when I did, stuff fell out everywhere.......... sauce, little sliced champignions......... the lot. Still tasted okay though.

Anyway........... went back to see the dude to check out my installation, and probably got about 70 out of 100, ‘cause NO-ONE is going to do it as good as them......... LOL!!!

He did impart some interesting info on electrical installations in autos......

One item was the correct fitting of PL 259 plugs, and how this company is the only one in SA that suggests to use a 2 mm. slice of insulation behind the braid, to ensure no stray hairs come in contact with the centre of the plug.

The other thing was short circuits & fires in cars. Very scary stuff indeed......

Apparently, if you’ve buggered up. and short circuited something, without having a fuse in line, it can become a chain reaction, because once the insulation melts off the offending cable, and it’s in a loom, and the other cables start melting their insulation, they too, will short out. Simply removing your original mistake will not stop it........... too late.

Anyway, after he pointed all these things out to me, and gave my vehicle the thumbs up, I put on my sunglasses, which were hanging around my neck. One of those bloody champignions had dropped inside on of the lenses! I was hoping like hell he couldn’t see it! I was avoiding his gaze, and trying to finish off our conversation with only one eye! I must have looked like something out of the shining............

I wonder if he noticed? If he did, at least he was polite...........

One eyed Wolf

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 20:41

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 20:41
Pleased to hear you got a green tick from the pro' mate. I'm assuming you installed this unit in the Honda?
We'll have to start calling you "Mushroom"..........not cos of the champignon thing, but cos most of the time you're in the dark and being fed on bullshyt...LOLOLOL
AnswerID: 93128

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 20:44

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 20:44
Yes Bill, Honda.

I am going to by 2 quick release plates so I can put it in Tracy's Delica.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 352115

Follow Up By: Wetty (W.A) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 23:39

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 23:39
After reading all the posts you guys put on here, you should call him "fungi"
Enjoy everything you guys go on with
Cheers
Wetty
FollowupID: 352136

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 21:40

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 21:40
Yeah Wolfie, know thw feeling about deading UHF's.

I deaded one old Uniden, - it was about 10 years old, & had it fixed by a comptent bloke in Murray Bridge, but it died again about 30000 rough kilometres later.

Went out & bought a GME 4400, loctaed it in the 'space' where an airbag would go, but got Tisonics in Norwood (little green bug is on wrong side of the CBD for me. But I sometinmes go to that Maccas while working over that side, so I'll be watching out for stray champignions) for the last professional bit of cconnection.a

However, I did not know of the consequences of a poor installation, so thanks for the tip.

Cheers

By the way, did you get to the Painted desert?

Where did you camp?

AnswerID: 93138

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:11

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:11
Painted Desert I am hoping will happen around 26 th. Jan, and cool weather ( I hope ).

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 352149

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 22:10

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 22:10
Ha!, he gave me 90/100.

Said he had to deduct cause I had aerial mounted on l/h side gutter.

The GME tx3200 works a treat.

Regards

Russell

AnswerID: 93142

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:12

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:12
"Ha!, he gave me 90/100. "

Bugger..............

I thought I was doing alright.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 352150

Sponsored Links