GU drivetrain oils

Submitted: Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 22:53
ThreadID: 19385 Views:1732 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Might take the GU for a spin up to Agnew next week if all goes according to plan, so I'm giving it a bit of a birthday while I've got some time on my hands.

My question is, from practical experience, what are the best oils to do the diffs, gearbox and transfer case in a '99 GU Patrol ST 4500 petrol? I want to stick with readily available brands, preferably Castrol as it can be bought anywhere at a reasonable price. Vehicle has done 178,000km's.

I've searched the archives extensively but it all got a bit much to take in.

So what do you folks recommend in Castrol only, using no additives and no $90/500ml synthetics please. Should I just stick to the standard generic listings or use something else.

While I'm at it, what is the best coolant?

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUPatrol - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 23:17

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 23:17
I have been using the following since new, almost 200000kms now and not a problem.
Front Diff: Castrol EPX 80W90 (recommended in the Castrol book)
Gearbox: VMX 75W 85 (if my memory serves me right, also from the castrol book)
Transfer Case: Dextron III (also from the Castrol book)
Rear Diff: LSX 80W 140 (also from the castrol book)
Castrol coolant but not the one they sell at supercheap already mixed, I buy it in concentrate from the depot.
***IMPORTANT*** make sure you don't mix, specially the coolant, drain flush and then fill, use demineralised water to mix with the coolant if you have any doubts about the water quality

All Castrol oils mineral at a reasonable price but I do change them "all" every 40000kms regardless.

Will
AnswerID: 93156

Follow Up By: Wetty (W.A) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 23:34

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 23:34
I take it the Nissan doesn't transfer oil from the gearbox oil to the tranny case. . . . if it does, how do the oils go mixing?? I was always told never to mix different oil types. (I know that boxes shouldn't transfer oil, but they do no matter who make it!)
FollowupID: 352135

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 00:26

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 00:26
Impossible in this one, the gearbox is separate from the transfer case, it looks like they are together but there is a big spacer in between so if either one was to leak, the oil would end up on that spacer and drain to the floor I know what you mean, it was common in the Landcruisers and they even used to add a hose so it would equalise back.
Will
FollowupID: 352139

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 23:32

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 23:32
V8Diesel,
I know what you are saying about the synthetics but I use them, not quite at the price you quote but they are a tad more expensive and yes I do have to take some with me on long trips. I've not had any problems and the gearbox transfer case and diffs do run slightly cooler. My experiences of course.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 93158

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 18:44

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 18:44
Martyn,
Could you post what brands/details you use in your Patrol please? Include the engine oil too if you wouldn't mind.
I have been using the same oils the first replier mentioned except for the front diff, where I use the same as the rear LSD oil due to having a ARB Air Locker up front and they recommended i use LSD oil.
As for coolant, I've always used Tectalloy 90+, but am not 100% sure it's the best thing available.
FollowupID: 352269

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 14:56

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 14:56
Roachie,
For my sins I use Royal Purple synthetic oil, I get it from the supplier in Siderney. I don't use a synthetic in the engine because I don't want to be carryng around 10 litres of Royal Purple incase I have to change the oil on an extended trip, it isn't easily available and not really pratical. I use BP Vanellus C6 in the engine. I have RP Syncromax in the transfer case, RP Max Film 75w-90 in the gearbox and front diff with RP Max Gear 85W-140 in the rear diff. In my Rangie I use the RP in the engine as well, no probel at all and it also appears to be cleaning up what was a first quite a grubby engine, I think that the servicing was sadly lacking before I bought it. I have an air locker in the rear of the Rangie which I use the RP Max Film 75W-90 in with no problems so far.
I'm not affiliated with RP these are just my experiences, it works for me.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 352400

Sponsored Links