Looking for advice on a well worn topic...

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 13:43
ThreadID: 19396 Views:1888 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Sorry to bore everyone with what must be one of the most asked question to most forums, but.....

I'm looking to buy my first 4WD and would appreciate any advice from those of you with knowledge/experience. I dont have a lot of money to spend (4-6k...maybe a bit more if needed?) and am after something economical, reliable, easy to repair/get parts for and not too bad on fuel (not asking for much...am I!!). I'm also looking for a real 4WD, something I can seriously get off road with and not just for city driving (although it will be my daily ride as well). Most people I have spoken to tend to push Toyota's more than anything stating cheap/widely available parts and reliability. Is this the case? I have been browsing used 4WD sites and seen a number of Hilux Surfs for under 10k, could this be what I'm after? How about older Landcruisers and 4Runners? As I said any advice/help is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Mick28.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 14:23

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 14:23
I have a 1984 Toyota 4 litre Diesel wagon for sale. Good reliable old truck, economical, 5 speed gearbox, alloy wheels. You can email me through my website below if you wish.
AnswerID: 93238

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 14:41

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 14:41
Willie, what about the 8X8.
A toyota in this vintage would suit your needs for all the reasons already told to you, plenty around, parts cheap easy to work on yourself, be carefull of rust.
Cheers
FollowupID: 352232

Reply By: ianmc - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 14:57

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 14:57
Bit of a big ask for 4-6k. Expect to put in more as U go along however for a reasonably civilised 4by with vg economy & a bit quicker than most others of similar vintage how about a Paj/Triton 2.5td or Rodeo 2.8td.
Paj may have some gear box issues but otherwise a reliable well built unit methinks for those $$$$$$.
Drive what you can find & see what U like. HiLux 2.2 or 2.4 non turbo might be a bit agric & slow for daily driver .
AnswerID: 93242

Sponsored Links