Cape York in May. What Temps to expect

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 18:07
ThreadID: 19403 Views:1930 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have friends travelling to Cape York in May-June this year, and they have asked me what daytime and night temperatures that they can expect at that time of the year. There must be losts that have travelled there at the that time of the year. I have only been in August.
Brian
Doing it tuff, Towing a Bushtracker.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 18:59

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 18:59
Hi Noosa

If they buy/loan or look at the Cape York "An Adventures Guide" by Ron & Viv Moon they will not be diasppointed with it.
The temps are there on about 20 pages in.
We have done it twice in June/July when the roads are in better shape, so to speak and once in July/August when they have been chewed up a bit more from the previous crowds.
I prefer the July/August time better, less cooler clothing to take.

Having said that here is a GUIDE for you from their book.
Cairns to Thursday Is in May are approx......Cairns 27.3max 19.8min to Thurs Is 28.9max 24.1min
Cairns to Thursday Is in June are approx.....Cairns 25.8max 18.1min to Thurs Is 28.1max 23.0min

Best to get a road report from where you live b4 they leave or if someone has been up earlier they may do a post here.
The cape roads change with each year, so best to get as much info as you can from other travelling on their way home.
I'm sure they will enjoy themselves.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)

AnswerID: 93270

Follow Up By: Noosa Bushtrackers - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 21:35

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 21:35
Thanks for your reply. I have got 2 copies of Ron Moons book on Cape York, but cannot locate either at the present time. I have passed on the information to our friends.

Brian
Doing it tuff, Towing a Bushtracker.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 352295

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:13

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:13
Hi Noosa

You are very welcome.
We too have 2 copies, the original and the latest edition.
The post below this says Litchfield N.P. (is in the Northern Territory) it is really Lakefield N.P.
He is right in saying to ask at the roadhouse, but which one.
The owner (last year) at the Hann River was very helpful with info for us.
Everyone we speak to when we travel are only too happy to part with info.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
FollowupID: 352317

Reply By: Member - Peter (on the move) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:03

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:03
Brian

A comfortable 30ish in May should be expected....shorts and t shirt in the day and a very light jumper / jacket very rarely in the evening. If your friends are there in May they should be checking at the roadhouses to make sure they can get through to Litchfield, Chili Beach etc depending on the wet. If you havent done the Cape you will soon find that the news along the track travels to the roadhouses via phone, radio, coppers, locals etc. I also recommend a stop at Moreton Telegraph station.

Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 93339

Sponsored Links