Campervan purchase warning

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 22:50
ThreadID: 19416 Views:3474 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,
a week ago I had a look at a 1988 Hiace campervan with WA numberplates advertised in the trading post. I asked the guy to get a blue slip, so I could get it registered in NSW. When it came to picking the van up, I offered a bank cheque. I was told, that they would take the cheque, deposit it and when cleared, I could have the van. Hmmmmm. I didn't like that. So I offered the exchange to take place at my local St.George bank and I would pay cash. They (by now, he had a charming fiancee) at first seemed to agree, but finally pulled out. Obviously there wasn't much of a chance to take the cash and run from inside the bank. Please be careful.
Rainer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rocky M QLD - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 23:16

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 23:16
Rainer,
having come from Perth and lived on the eastcoast,I can see the problem the seller had.N S W cant give a blue slip /roadworthy on an interstate car unless you are re registering in NS W.In W A when you sell a car you dont need a roadworthy and in this case I would say that the car was not roadworthy or that the car had not been transferred in the beginning Working in Hospitality on the goldcoast I see this problem everyday with people telling oversaes buyers how easy it is to do it,full stop,with the language problems etc it is not easy.On the Goldcoast the sharks to watch out for arent always in the ocean
hope this is of some help and always remember if it looks too good to be true it probably is
regards Dave
AnswerID: 93318

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 09:41

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 09:41
Your so right Rocky,
As for the bank cheques, well i remember quite a few years ago someone was using fake bank cheques and people were getting stung bad. After that incidient I too will not part with the goods UNTIL the bank cheque has cleared. I make this point to the buyer before the hand shake is done. That way he/she knows they have to wait for clearance before they get my goods.
FollowupID: 352331

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:31
It was happening in WA only a few months ago, some of our customers had lost thousands of dollars through fake bank cheques. It was on genuine paper that had been smuggled or stolen from a particular bank and then printed using a computer.
FollowupID: 352896

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 23:55

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 23:55
Also beware of bank cheques .... they can be stopped just as easily as a personal cheque!
They also take the same time to clear.
AnswerID: 93328

Follow Up By: Rocky M QLD - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 15:57

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 15:57
Shaker,
you are so right,easy solution...electronic funds transfer...the money is in straight away and has to be there,in their account to be able to do it.All you need is a copy of your bank statement with details and presto or better still but unlikely,show me the money,good old folding.
regards Dave
FollowupID: 352405

Follow Up By: rainer - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 17:30

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 17:30
Thanks for your replies.
Well, as I said I only wanted the van with a blue slip. I did offer them electronic transfer, bank cheque and the last one was cash and that's when they pulled out. In other words they were not interested in a straight swap, money for van.
Anyway, hope to meet you all on the road soon. And hopefully in an unencumbered vehicle. (ha,ha)
Regards
Rainer
FollowupID: 352415

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 21:14

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 21:14
My golden rule - a cheque (any cheque) is not money - its a piece of paper ! - the bank MAY change it to money - wait till then.
AnswerID: 93464

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 21:17

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 21:17
I can sell you a certain landcruiser campervan probably for simular money to the hiace camper! and it would give you an excuse to vist the greatest state for 4wd travel in oz
AnswerID: 93466

Reply By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:03

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:03
Hi,
Something else you might want to take into consideration if you purchase a van from interstate (which we did a month or so ago) is that you will have to have a engineers certificate to say the campervan is built to proper specs. As we found out after buying a QLD van, and that costs another $150 then your inspection costs are also dearer. So you might want to figure in the extra costs when checking out the prices it could well be cheaper just to find one already regod in NSW.
AnswerID: 93475

Reply By: Skinny- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:55

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:55
My story, 2 years ago i went to buy a truck from a dealer on parramatta road. 55kkm and good nick. did the deal and then felt funny so decided to have a even closer look. Something was just not right, car was perfect but a few bits were old and rusty.The tail gate was older than the rest but paintjob was ace. Even had a governemnt log book. Checked engine number and vin on gov webiste they did not belong to the same car.Had a pro inspect and found it was probalbly stolen rebirth, but a good job.
Dealer tried dropping 5 grand off the price if I still took it, what a cheek.
I threatened with the police and he gave me my deposit back and said he would send it to the auctions. Very scarry. I bought my next car private and checked it out with a magnifying glass.

Cheers

Skinny
AnswerID: 93899

Follow Up By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:05

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:05
I am of the opinion that licenesed dealers are required by law to "guarantee title" and you have every come back in the world. That is, if they haven't gone bankrupt or done a bunk. Not so with a privat sale.
Caviat Emptor - buyer beware - is still the best policy.
FollowupID: 352880

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:35

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:35
Yep, I new a young bloke who didn't check the car with REVS before he bought it.

He Paid $12,000 folding cash and a month later his V8 commodore was reposessed and he had nothing. Poor bastard. But goes to show you can't be too careful.
FollowupID: 352897

Sponsored Links