FJ40 safety

Submitted: Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1943 Views:3330 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased a 1971 FJ40. I am a little concerned at the safety of the brakes, steering and general on road handling. Is anyone able to help me with the steps they have taken to improve the driving of their FJ40? I have spoken with one mechanic who seemed to think that the brakes were fine (despite the fact that I am loosing pressure). I looked at converting the front to discs - but cost seems excessive. What costs were involved and if they can recommend a mechanic that knows these cars well - I am located in inner city Melbourne, but willing to travel to get someone that will not rip me off.
Also wondering if I need a roll bar in the back? I have had a few 4wd's, but am concerned at the stregth of the roof/lid on this car - are the pillars sound? Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod - Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00
Phil, If you can un do a nut and are prepared to do the work yourself then you can save heaps. A lot of the early L/cruiser, Hilux and Dyna gear is all the same (cross reference the parts numbers). I'm not a mechanic, but a few years back I converted a Twin Cab Dyna (2wd) to a 4x4 (legally). I had a L/cruiser front diff with drums, I change the L/c hubs/drums with Hilux hubs/dics brakes. Had to replace the L/c cobleep spline stub axel for fine splines. The Hilux hubs cost $300 the pair, probably more now. plus new bearings, overhual calipers.
AnswerID: 6491

Follow Up By: Stephenf - Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00

Cobleep?? It took me a few seconds, but the answer is c_o_a_r_s_e!! Does the program look for naughty words INSIDE other words? Isn't this going a bit far?
FollowupID: 2909

Follow Up By: Fed - Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00
It would make a bleepatoo blush if we were to see cobleep language. I'd like bleep Smith to take up the cause.
FollowupID: 2966

Follow Up By: Mike - Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00
Fed, I think you mean bleep smith
FollowupID: 2969

Reply By: Tim - Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00

I used to drive my mates cruiser a bit and it had all the same symtoms yours has. However it lasted a lifetime and did some big trips with no hassles at all.
As for the roll bar, yeah I would recommend it, the same cruiser was rolled 3 times in about 8 years which is not a god record. I don't doubt it was the drivers fault but the damage with the roll bar was excessive, without would have been fatal.
Tim
AnswerID: 6499

Reply By: royce - Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00
Bought my son an BJ 42 Shortie, to help him finish off school..... well, we used it on the farm too! I was shocked by its crazy braking and bounce. It took a bit of getting used to. Had to emergency brake as a bloke ahead braked for a kangaroo. [I don't do that now, keep constant speed and let them take their chances.]. Anyway, I ended up doing a 180 degree spin. Facing the other way up the road to the way I started! When he got his licence and took over the little beastie, I bought him a roll frame 'cause I knew he would? Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 6559

Sponsored Links