Nissan Owners

Submitted: Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:09
ThreadID: 19453 Views:1729 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Have a quick question for all you 3ltr Nissans, I am informed by my local dealer that you can't fit any of the oil soaked filters eg Uni Filter, K&N etc as they can damage the Air Mass Sensor. Can't understand why so many after market filters are made if this is true, also wouldn't do the same on Prado's etc as they use the same pump etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:27

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:27
Hi Glenn,

Yes, its a common problem. Microscopic size particles of oil from the filter travel with the air and coat the airflow sensor (a thin hot wire). This distorts the air flow reading and bingo, the computer thinks it has less air so backs off the fuel and so you lose power. Sometimes you may be able to clean the coating off, other times you have to replace the airflow meter.

Some intake ducts are more suseptible than others, the more bends before the sensor the more chance the oil droplets inpinge on the duct wall at the bend. But if the sensor is located almost straight after the filter, more chance of it coating the sensor.

IMHO I would not use any oiled filter element on any vehicle (petrol or diesel) that has an airflow meter. But hey, if you don't have an airflow meter, I reckon they are a good investment. I used to have one on my 1HZ and while I reckon its a great, cost effective, filter its just not suitable for the current crop of air flow meters.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 93505

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:37

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:37
Hi Glenn. Nissan in Melville (W.A.) told me this as well.

The guys at ORE and ARB sell heaps of em, so they say. They told me Nissan say that to keep us buying the genuine ones.

I havn't fitted one because I didn't want to mess up any warranty claim I may have, and I have a snorkel with an oiled pre cleaner in the neck. Someone on here recons the AMS costs $$$$$, but I seem to remember they weren't that exe. Less than 500 bucks. It's still a lot of moolah for a little gizmo but over a thousand just doesn't seem right.

As for oiled filters, you will find that the genuine one for the 3.0Di is an oil impregnated paper element. Don't get the non oiled paper filter (plain white element) cos the 3.0 will suck all sorts of crap straight thru it !!

Cheers'

Muzz
AnswerID: 93506

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 13:31

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 13:31
"As for oiled filters, you will find that the genuine one for the 3.0Di is an oil impregnated paper element. Don't get the non oiled paper filter (plain white element) cos the 3.0 will suck all sorts of crap straight thru it !! "

My local Nissan dealer told me recently about this. He said the air flow sensor gets sandblasted when using the dry filters so stick with the wet filters.

Leroy
FollowupID: 352580

Follow Up By: muzzimbidgie - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 13:32

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 13:32
OOPS. Ok, I was wrong.

According to nissan the air filter for the 3.0GU is coated in silicone not oil, but it is still a coated paper element. It should be red in colour.
And the AMS, or airflow meter, costs less than $250.

Cheers,

Muzz
FollowupID: 352581

Follow Up By: ianmc - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:07

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:07
Wouldnt the oil mist spray from any turbo bearing leakage also stuff up the sensor. Nothing much U could do about it I guess in that case!
FollowupID: 352594

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:41

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:41
Ian,
I'm thinking that any oil spray off the turbo bearings (trouble in the first place i would have thought!!), would be "blown/sucked" the other way; away from the sensor. I understand the sensor is located in the plastic intake tube, not far from the air filter and about 2 feet upstream of the turbo. Others who own a 3L would know for sure.
FollowupID: 352601

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:52

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:52
There was discussion on this on another forum just recently.

I think the end result was , if it has an Air Flow Sensor (new Diesels eg , Patrol 3.0l , and Petrols )DONT , as the oil can stuff up the Sensor.

Ones without , like the 4.2TD's , dont have sensors , so they can run them.

It was also discussed as to why you would fit one.

Some of the mining guys said they used paper filters because it was far easier to clean and are basically idiot proof. The Oiled ones can be over/under oiled and cause problems. It takes far amount of practice to get them right.
AnswerID: 93612

Sponsored Links