UHF handhelds

Submitted: Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:06
ThreadID: 19532 Views:2472 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day folks, need your help once again.
I am looking at buying a handheld uhf radio that has a range of up to 3km (0.5 - 2w), and am looking at those cheapies advertised as twin packs (as my cousin wants to go halves). We dont have in car uhf's yet and wonder if the handhelds will suffice in trips where we are only under 1km apart. A bonus would be external antenna connection and external power supply. Any help from those with such units will be appreciated.
Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:11

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:11
Hi Stitch
We recently brought some uniden 0.75W hand helds (blue ones), twin pack from dick smith. We have used them in the 4wd and on the motorbike and are very happy with them. Range seems to be ok for a handheld. Think we paid about $124. Comes with a double charger and you can use AA batteries with them.
cheers
Crazie
AnswerID: 93628

Reply By: James M - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:21

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:21
Gday Stitch,

I used those cheapies for 4wd convoy before my hardwired CB. Work very well for that purpose. Just try to get the ones that take AA batteries. As I found the ones that take a AAA battery didn't last very long before it went flat.

James.
AnswerID: 93631

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:42

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:42
Stitch. You should find that to get ones with options for fitting an external aerial and/or 12v power to run off the car, you will have to spend a bit more. I have hired one of these short term, and found it to be excellent. The good thing about them is they usually have 5w power and when connected to an externally fixed aerial on the car, they work great. Just as good as a hardwired UHF. Gives you the option of taking it out of the car if you want to walk it, without having to buy seperate ones (one for the car and one for mobile use).

The only hassle I found was that the darn thing was lying around between the seats all the time and occasionally fell on the floor when going offroad.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 93632

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 18:02

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 18:02
I had a play around with quite of few of these and have a 5w handheld, a TX3000 fitted in car and two cheapo Dick smith units (for the kids).
All work very well, even the cheapo ones. Ultimatly I would be going the car mounted one regardless but as a short term option these little handhelds are great. Been on a few convoys with these being used, only hassel is in hilly country and in big conveys they start to loose contact but you can always relay messages through the convoy.

The ones I have for the kids I bought as a twin pack from Dicksmith for $80. Came with two headsets a twin 240v charger and rechargable batteries all included. They do use the AAA batteries but they seem to last forever on them, better than my big 5w Uniden on low power. But being recharble you can always plug the charger into an inverter at camp and give them a charge if you are away for over a week or so.
AnswerID: 93636

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 18:45

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 18:45
I've got a pair of Uniden UH041s, come with a charger and rechargeable batery pack (about $160 from memory). The battery pack seems to last forever, range is OK for convoy upto 1km as you suggest, great for the kids to use when camping, bushwalking etc, great for talking mates up hills etc. recommend them highly.
AnswerID: 93644

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 13:40
G'day Stitch
Bought the Uniden set from Target for $69 (that's 2 little UHFs - great value). Great little things - work well. You can get some unknown brands from other outlets eg Warehouse but I thought if I stuck with a proper brand I'd be safe. Mind you they may all come out of the same factory!
AnswerID: 93765

Reply By: Skinny- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:44

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:44
yeah hand held jobbies are good for the kids and when you go to collect fire wood etc. i leave the main cb on in the truck and if someone needs to call for help they can. You know kids snakes mrs spiders etc.
I use the .5 watt jobs because I did not want the signal going too far. Perhaps some lurkers may listen to my mrs saying where she was or too much info from kids. Also I lock the thingies on cell call so they can not hear other idiots who insist on swearing on channel.

Cheers skinny.
AnswerID: 93898

Sponsored Links