chasing items for off-road trailer

Submitted: Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:29
ThreadID: 19534 Views:2473 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
just finalising the design of 7x4 custom off-road trailer... if anyone knows the contact details etc for purchasing the following items it would be much appreciated>
- independant suspension (kits?)
- Tregg Hitch
- adjustable (wind-up) legs (for levelling)
- or maybe any other personal items/add-on's/accessories/ people have added to trailers to make their camping experience all the more worth while! (besides the usual water tank/another battery/ jerry can holders etc)
p.s. (im in Newcastle NSW)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: green man - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 18:25

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 18:25
a point to note is that it is illegal to if you have jerry holders on the side of your trailer to store fuel in them

The only legal place is on the drew bar between the trailer body and the tow vehicle-this is from NSW police

i think that gas bottles are in the same boat
AnswerID: 93642

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 19:06

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 19:06
Green Man,
Im not 100% but if its illegal to have fuel cans on the side, then why do most manufaturers of trailers have them there? I put 2 on the side of my box trailer (1 each side) and have been pulled over for a breath test while towing the trailer and bike full. Even had the same one police man asking lots of questions about how good the bike was while leaning on the jerry can. Im not doubting what you say, but my point is, if its illegal then why didnt he at least mention it for future reference to me.
Personally my thoughts on it are .... if the holders are within the confinds of the frame then im assuming its legal. I could be wrong though.
FollowupID: 352633

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:08

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:08
Hi Guys,

What you are referring to may be the case in NSW but it is a state law and I think you will find that it is not the same in all states.


FollowupID: 352656

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 19:15

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 19:15
Mozza, I have recently purchased what you are looking for from a caravan repair place. (not the suspension, but they should be able to get 'em)
Also, look in the yellow pages under trailer parts/repairs.


AnswerID: 93646

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 19:57

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 19:57
Mozza, the following may be of use to you. I think that the members of the group get a discount with Camec, a caravan parts supplier, which should be able to help you out with all but your suspension, I think. One of the members of the group will probably know where to get suspension bits etc. Hope this is some use to you. Best of luck with your project.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93650

Reply By: Vinnie - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 20:59

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 20:59

From Newy myself.

Try thew place at Caves Beach, in the industrial estate.

They advertise inthe local free rag - Star.

I got a great plan for a SS water tank that can bolt to the front of yer trailer, holds 25L

send a note to


AnswerID: 93661

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:54

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:54

have you tried Al-Ko for parts. I know my axles and springs came that way and some of the other bits too. Battery boxes and things can come from Super Cheap, water tanks caravan suppliers.

The axle I have on the trailer is not independent though but look round their site for ideas.
AnswerID: 93691

Reply By: Member - Peter (on the move) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 23:34

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 23:34

Try Jumbuck campers in Beresfield ( they are movingf at present i believe) I have one of their campers with independent suspension, it is a ball tearer in any terrain and on the main road. I am sure they would sell you some components.

Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 93697

Reply By: MrBitchi - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:59

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:59
Personally I wouldn't use independent suspension. I'd use twin eye leaf springs with shocks. Much easier to get spares in the bush and IMHO just as good as independent set-up.
Other stuff is available from Camec

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 93727

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)