HF Radio autotune aerial installation on rear of 100 series GXL

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:13
ThreadID: 19568 Views:2563 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased an Autotune aerial for a BARRETT 550R HF Radio and wish to install on rear of 100 series GXL. I do not have a rear wheel carrier and wondered what others did in this regard. Any ideas would help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Bushtrackers - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:25

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:25
On our F250 that has a solid steel bumper bar, I fitted a right angled plate on the right hand side of the bumper bar that leaves the tail lights clear from the rear and is still within the same distance from the body as the mirrors are. Protrusions to the right do not attract the same attention from police as do those on the left that could cause injury to Pedestrians on a kerb etc.

I was told that it wouldn't operate very well because it was too low and close to the body, but it tunes and operates perfectly.

As Landcruisers only have a plastic bumper, you may have to make a bracket that goes back to the steel reinforcement underneath.

I have seen some Landcruisers with a spare wheel type holder fitted just for HF antennas but these would be a nuisence as you would have to open it everytime you wanted to access the rear of vehicle.
Brian
Doing it tuff, Towing a Bushtracker.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93820

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 23:34

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 23:34
I have the Auto tune Antenae on a swing away carrier that is also used for a water Jerry, Hi lift jack, axe, shovell & reversing light. By fitting plugs at the bumper it can be easily removed when not on a trip. The cost to fit a swing bracket just for the Aerial is a bit much, but when used to fit all the above items is better value.
Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 93864

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:03

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:03
Hi JRR,

When in Clare SA last year, I saw a HF holder on the rear of a 100 Series. It had a hook that went over the top lip of the rear door, suction cups on,legs, and two more that hooked to the bottom of the rear door. It was very stable, but the driver couldn't remember where her husband had bought it from. It was from somewhere in Adelaide. No holes, no screws, just tensioners and suction cups.

Hopefully someone else knows what I am talking about and where it can be sourced.

Cheers
AnswerID: 93946

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 23:11

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 23:11
Electric Bug are a great source of odd HF brackets for the Barrets. Have seen fold down autotunes behind the bullbars for instance. They are very helpful.

www.electricbug.com.au

Cheers
Phil
Barrett 950 HF autotune
FollowupID: 352963

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:41

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:41
I've seen the clamp on/suction cup mounts too, on 80's and 100's, they work similar to those old style caravan mirrors that people used to fit on the front doors.
AnswerID: 94078

Sponsored Links