"Son of a Bitch Spur track"

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 21:29
ThreadID: 19575 Views:4932 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just looking at some tracks near the Macilaster River/Butcher Country area and the name of this track caught my eye. It's at Sth 37-19.8 and E146-28.1 (WGS-84) Is anyone aware whether it has been named as such to reflect it's degree of difficulty. Anyone been on it and has a view about its condition. With a name like that it must be seeking challengers??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NissanofOld - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 22:39

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 22:39
Just follow the Macalister River all the way to the end (10th river crossing), turn left and keep going up and along and you'll get to Grimme Track. Plenty of sphincter material there, especially if it's wet. Or you can do it the other way around. Not for the faint hearted.

AnswerID: 93855

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 23:15

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 23:15
This track has seen a series of accidents over the years & is currently due for major repair work.
We have received advice from Ranger at Heyfield about
this track, as follows:

"For your information, the attached notice will be placed at either
end of Grimme Track at Bull Plain Road and at Blue Plain Track,
approx. 35km NNW of Licola at the eastern edge of the Alpine
National Park. The notice will remain in place until road
maintenance works take place later this summer."

"Grimme Track
The track ahead is technically difficult and should not be
attempted in adverse weather conditions.
Only fully equipped four wheel drive vehicles and skilled drivers
should proceed past this point.
I can vouch that it should be left alone in the wet as a member of my group rolled 3 times 50m over the side coming out of Grimme crk. Lucky to walk away.
Cheers Craig...............
FollowupID: 352833

Follow Up By: NissanofOld - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 17:00

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 17:00
We've done it twice now in 2004 and each time it's p***ed down rain. On the last trip the track was in an unbelievably bad state, but once you started, there was no going back (too late once you found out).

Fortunately the going up the other side is more rock than clay, so it just meant no backing off. Could hardly see at times the rain was so heavy.

We think it's an omen and not sure about a third time, unless it's guaranteed bone dry.
FollowupID: 352916

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 06:26

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 06:26
On all my mapping it shoes that track as grimme track to first section, then blue plain spur, then it becomes nobs track after the left turn where you can go right to helipad.

From Mcallister river to bull plain spur is the easier way of the 2 to go, as you are going down the steep section, but heading up the other side is an impressive view when you round the last switchback, and have 200m of steep off camber rocky ledges which slope to the drop off side of the track as it turns slightly to the left.

Stood my gq shorty up vertical on the rock ledge near the top of the steep side many years ago, and had to winch a car length then, but have driven it many many times in many trucks apart from then.
AnswerID: 93876

Sponsored Links