Cooper STT - Side wall puncture.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:29
ThreadID: 19582 Views:3260 Replies:12 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy All,

Went for a quick drive on the weekend, rarely used narrow dirt tracks but nothing hard and got a puncture in the left rear STT on the side wall. It must have barely penetrated as the took over half an hour to go half flat but im prettybleepoff. (I found out after I got back on the black stuff, hit the first right hand corner, which was pretty tight, and it went sideways, full apposite lock kinda stuff :)

I found the small puncture about 1 inch down the sidewall from the tread (new tyres) and its about half an inch long. The road was a bit rocky in places but they didnt look to be big sharp rocks.....at biggest I would say tennis ball size and loosely scattered all over the road.

Has anyone else had this happen with the Cooper STT's? Anyone know if it might be repairable?

I havent taken it back to tyre shop yet but plan to go tomorrow and have a pretty big winge to see if they will replace it as its less than 10k old.

cheers
NUTS!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: signman - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:10

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:10
I had to have a chuckle when i read:

"Coopers's FAMOUS mileage guarantee ranges from 50000 to 90000 kms depending on size etc etc...and is available in capital cities ONLY as country road surfaces vary too greatly from area to area."

C'mon Mr Cooper, get into the real world. All the adverts push the product as a premium product for off road use, and they have a guarantee like that??

I took a 693 (with a bit of sharp mulga hanging out of the sidewall) back to a Bridgestone dealer (not the one where I got the tyres), and had no problems with a prorata credit.

Have a good day
Signman
AnswerID: 93903

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 17:03

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 17:03
Signman ,
Also , to get the Cooper guarrantee you must show proof that you have had a wheel alignment every 10,000 klm .That is a con job advertising that warranty . It is total bullsh*t.
Willie.
PS ,
I staked two Coopers in 15 minutes in thje desert in July . We put a tube and a big patch into one and the other one was a write off . These are not really warranty claims though - you can put a stake through the sidewall of any tyre on the market - I am surprised Bridgestone gave you a credit .
FollowupID: 352917

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:32

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:32
side staked a bfgoodrich a couple of yrs back....brand new well almost had done less than 5000...anyhow took it back to dealer and complained that tyre pressures were too high...the other three had 50psi..and that as the tyres were new from him only 5000 klicks back and i had not even checked tyre pressures..i was not impressed....anyhow...

It went back to factory...i actually think it went to bridgestones in Adelaide as it was back within the week...and repaired....could hardly see the repair and put it back on car until i needed a new set.......did about 60000 on it....
So yours maybe repairable too?
AnswerID: 93905

Follow Up By: signman - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:57

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:57
Shame on you Nudey...you mean you didn't check the tyre pressures after gettin them fitted?? And you didnt adjust the pressures when venturing off road?? Tutt Tutt
I've seen the fitters in tyre shops inflating tyres til the bead 'pops' then fitting to the vehicle with no checking pressures. It could be 50psi + to pop a stiff bead.
FollowupID: 352884

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:45
Nudey, off topic a bit but do you have a satphone you hire out? my emails behind my pic, if you can steer me in anyones direction
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 352937

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:56

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:56
got caught once but not again......
FollowupID: 352981

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:11

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:11
G'day Nuts,
I managed to put a rip about 50mm long in the side of one of ST s a few months back. It didn't go right through, but you could see the inner layers. It wasn't all that old either....I had been driving over rocks (some were pretty big), but I did have my pressures down to about 25psi.
Anyway, my dealer got it repaired for me. You could hardly say it was a manufacturing fault, so i didn't quibble when he charged me $70- for the job. They had to send it down to Adelaide.
AnswerID: 93917

Reply By: member-Diamond(vic) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:15

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:15
why would cooper want to replace the tyre.
you drove on rocky roads and run over a sharp rock its simple.
you dont go buy a new car run into a pole then whinge to the car manufacturer because your cars stuffed.
take it to a tyre place and get it repaired.
ps had it been any other tyre it probly would have torn right through the side wall.
AnswerID: 93918

Follow Up By: signman - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:57

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:57
Hi Diamond
I'm not advocating that Coopers (or any brand tyre) are bullet proof- however for a company that builds it's reputation on off road driving- their guarantee has gotta be a joke. Coopers would be far more credible if they had no guarantee at all than "city driving only". I know that in Toorak (or Double Bay, Sydney) there are 4WDs with muddies on, but they're only for the shopping centre speed humps.
It's like Evinrude having a warranty on outboard motors- as long as they're not used in water??
FollowupID: 352903

Reply By: Rod - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:44

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:44
Believe STTs come in an 8ply and 10ply construction. Forby's in Brisbane told me that the 10ply has an extra layer in the sidewall than the 8.
AnswerID: 93920

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 17:07

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 17:07
Rod ,
I have 10 ply Coopers and stakes go into the sidewall VERY EASILY .
AsI just mentioned to Signman , I did two in 15 minutes .
Willie
FollowupID: 352918

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:54
as mentioned no tyre is bullet proof. We run 12ply dunlopdr2 and they are probably as close as you will get to puncture proof for ordinary offroading but I still managed to get about 20 flats last year including 3 in 1 go. I actually got good results with 40psi not 1 sidewall stake
FollowupID: 352939

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 20:51
Davoe ,
It's gotta help , pumping up the tyres and having the sidewalls vertical instead of bulging and vulnerable .
Sometimes in sand that is not possible or on corrugations not comfortable , but I support your theory whenever possible .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 352944

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:54

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:54
willie, I was talking only about only slow track/cross country driving. at high speeds on rocky roads eg grr rock impacts fracture your tyres ( I ruined 2 brand newies with 50psi) and sand goes without saying. The 20 flats I got were all in extreme cross country driving and often over burnt out areas. While it sounds like alot it wasnt for the type of driving
FollowupID: 353014

Reply By: Member - Michael- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:55

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:55
Hey Nuts
I had similar happen to one of my Cooper A/Ts took it back to where I bought it and the put an internal sidewall patch and for good measure I've fitted an innertube. When mine occurred the puncture did not go right through, as in your case, I replaced it on the spot and even a week later it still had air in it. Take tyre back to the supplier and get them to put on an internal sidewall patch. No domestic vehicle tyre is totally puncture proof
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93923

Follow Up By: signman - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:24

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:24
Do you think it's a good idea to fit a tube into a tyre with an internal repair?? I think there was an issue on this forum with even stickers left in a tyre case causing rubbing thru tubes- I think in your instance that must create problems- especially when you reduce pressures for offroad/sand work.
Bearing in mind the valve stem on a tube does not seal onto the rim, I think you could be in more problems than leaving the tyre tubeless.
FollowupID: 352887

Follow Up By: Member - Michael- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:04

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:04
I remember the issue on this forum, at the moment the tyre in question has done 20000+km since repair
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 352890

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:18

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:18
Agree with Diamond (Vic). If you're implying that it is Cooper's fault then get into the real world. Tyres are not puncture proof and no tyre manufacturer claims they are, and no user should expect them to be.
If it isn't a serious puncture it will be repairable - probably depends on whether there's any damage to the belts.
AnswerID: 93925

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:18

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:18
NissanNut

In the last four years I have managed to destroy two Coopers.
My fault, lack of concentration on my part.
I am going to try the 10ply light truck version with my next set.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 93937

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:24

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:24
Well I had Cooper STs light truck construction & I 'staked' the sidewalls on mine on the most innocuous section of track that you could imagine ... it was about 50 meters long with rocks about the size of half house bricks, I stopped at the start of it as it dropped down about 250mm then went over at about 10kph!
Both rear tyres with holes in the sidewalls, subsequently written off by the Cooper dealer.
After complaining about their mileage & durability being a joke, being promoted by the Leyland brothers all covered in red dirt, & then to be told city only, I received a 30% allowance which could be used on any tyre I chose.
After paying about a $1000.00 for the Coopers & being very disappointed with excessive wear, I decided to try a set of Firestone Firehawk RMT's, at $175 each, which appear to have a very strong sidewall, when let down to 25psi the tyre maintains the same profile as when at 38psi, whereas the Coopers did bulge very noticeably at 25psi.

Maybe I have 'jumped from the frying pan into the fire', only time will tell.
FollowupID: 352926

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:04

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:04
I dropped the surf of the trolly jack without thinking and the axel stand which was sitting on a brick (for extra height) had it's thin metal base predtuding out over where the tyre went. ie The tyre had this metal base pushing so far in I though it had already pucntured it and gone through.
To my absolute amazment the old weathered almost knackered/bald bridgstone desert duler was fine! I jacked the car back up off, scratching and scraping it all the way to find barley even a mark on the bugger. These tyres were at 45psi as well!

So I can't understand how a little rocky on a tame track could have staked a brand new cooper (not the all might cooper). Must have been a branch or somtihng yeah??
AnswerID: 93959

Reply By: jp - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:53

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:53
Hi All,
I had a Cooper blow out on me last year in the Flinders.(less than 10000 k's) Arrived back in Brisbane and went to the place where i bought them. The salesperson then explained that they were not coverd off road.This was not explained at the time they were purchased. (Iknow i should have read the terms and conditions), but with the adverts in 4x4 mags show vehicles off road, not on tarmac i assumed they were off road tyres.
The attitude of the salesperson was "i got your money so i dont give a s----"
I was going to buy a new one,but walked out. I sold the other 4 for $70 each and went back to BFG.
Good luck Nuts
AnswerID: 93965

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:55
Tyres are there to be punctured mate....Get over it
AnswerID: 93967

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:07

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:07
Spoken like a true gentleman. LOL.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 352929

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:24

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:24
aaah, so good to see a tyre thread again...

Don't worry mate, my missus put something through the sidewall of the Michelin 225/65-17 on her Kluger over the holidays on the good old Pacific Highway and I have just paid $400 for a new one (RRP $470 something, can you believe that.) Real 4WD tyres are CHEAP.

I've noticed that around here in leafy downtown Turramurra most of the newer rigs with aftermarket tyres are wearing Cooper (clearly in Warranty!). Older rigs of the 80 series and GQ/GUI variety (a rarerer breed 'round here now) are wearing BFG or Duellers. Touring the outback, locals seem to have whatever they have been able to lay thier hands on at a decent price. Hankook, Toyo, Savero, Olympic etc. Go figure.
FollowupID: 352955

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:28

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:28
$400 for a 4x4 tyre pffffffffffffffff. Our work F250s have Michelins worth $800ea. Frigging expensive but they are great on the bitumen/dirt but I wouldn't call them an off road tyre (they are classed as A/T though).

I thought it was funny since I paid $1000 for a set of 5 BFG KOs for my Rodeo.
FollowupID: 353046

Follow Up By: signman - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:36

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:36
Gee Willem..with an attitude like that... "Tyres are there to be punctured mate" .... you must be real fun on a trip. I guess the tyrepliers get a good work out ( or do you have a pantec full of fresh Coopers following up).
Or maybe your quote should be Coopers new advertising by-line.
FollowupID: 353047

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 19:56

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 19:56
Hey signman

I travel alone so I dont have to be fun to anyone on a trip

Why people have to whinge about staking a tyre is beyond me. It happens Even with 14 ply MRF crossplies you can stake a tyre.

Coopers are no different to most of the recreational tyres on the market. Good tread pattern but not very much in the sidewall.

You get punctures...so you should get over it as well
FollowupID: 353135

Reply By: NissanNut - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 20:49
Thanks for the replies everyone,

I guess i just had higher expectations of these tyres than what they deliver. I do realise that you get flats from time to time, ive pulled some pretty big and also pretty small nails and pieces of steel out of car tyres before.....fair enough. But the track I was on, i would have driven a datsun 180B down without too much worry. Then again i probably just failed to see the long sharp object that did the damage, was probably driving to fast to see anything that small ;)

I didn't realise that side wall punctures were repairable......every time ive had one ive been told I had to buy a new tyre from that dealer at much greater cost than a repair of course. The cut must be tiny by the time its gone through the side wall as its only about 15mm long on the outside and looks to be just of parrallel to the side wall like |\ if you know what i mean.

I think the next set will be MTR's though.......

Cheers
NUTS!
AnswerID: 93987

Follow Up By: NissanNut - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 20:51
Actually, the first line was a bit harsh, they are fantastic in the mud, but, thats it.
FollowupID: 352943

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:28

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:28
Yeh Nuts,
I'm saving up for MT/Rs now too.....Coopers just don't live up to the hype. One trip to Cape York and they were VERY stuffed (big chunks out of most lugs etc)
FollowupID: 352956

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 00:07

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 00:07
Roachie I have had the same issue with BFG Allterrains.

Bloody tyres are just crap.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 352965

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:20

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:20
I suppose it the compromise any tire maker has to address.
I ran a set of coopers ATs over the burke&wills development rd and the kennedy development rd and few side tracks and they really chipped.
While a previous set of dunlop adventurers did cape york and another trip without a chip.
But then the dunlops used to aquaplane real easy on wet bitumen (slid through a r/bout once - scary) when worn, while the coopers didn't.
The coopers advertise the 'best' stopping distances on wet bitimen so the rubber must be a little softer for grip. Only got 60,000 from the coopers but 100,000 from the dunlops.
Just tried a set of toyo opats and they seem to be similar to the coopers, good grip bitumen and dirt tracks, but only 65,000k. Did chip on the strezlecki and birdsville tracks but not too much and mainly the rear drive wheels.
Ran a set of firestones before that, and they were more like the dunlops. Good wear (90,000) but bit slippery on bitumen when low on tread. Could spin the rear wheels in 1st and 2nd on a diesel pajero with low tread. Useful though by being able to steer on the throttle.
I suppose rubber against stone means the stone wins every time for hardness!
FollowupID: 353006

Sponsored Links