4WD from Sydney to Melbourne to South Aust & back to Sydney

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:33
ThreadID: 19584 Views:1996 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
April 1 2006 will be the start date of our trip & I would be most grateful if I could get info on different types of methods for getting to all those destinations between April 1 & April 24 2006 in a Land Rover Discovery with a Jayco Poptop caravan & a tinny. We are looking for the characters along the way, things unusual, we will be doing the Great Ocean Road & the High country of NSW & Vic. so help here would be great. South Aust is the great unknown to all 4 of us.Thanks in anticipation, Dennis
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:52

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:52
Hi Dennis,

In SA, the South East will be your entry point I remember the Glenelg river with affection from years ago, but there is plenty to do in that area.
Anywhere along the Murray R in SA you will be able to get the tinnie wet. You may have to use parks but there are some places where there camping grounds where you can pull up. There is one near Narrung near the Coorong that I know and another at loveday in the Riverland.
The Fleurieu Peninsula is pretty good with Deep Creek Cons Park a good stay with great walks. Wineries in Mclaren Vale and of course the Barossa.
Kangaroo Is is a great place but the fee across on the ferry is steep.
Then you have the York Peninsula with good boating facilities on the Eastern side and Innes Nat Park in the SW, superb camping and walking surfing etc.
In the north the desert reigns. Not tinnie country but Flinders Ranges are great for scenery and 4WD and the Gammons (further North) even better.

You can get a series of mags called SA Secrets which have editions for each major area and will give you some good tips. They are free and available from tourist centres.

Above all have a great time,
Camper
AnswerID: 93932

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:53

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:53
It depends your appetite for daily travel Dennis as parts you can travel point to point 500kms a day and part you may only want to travel 200 kms a day - with littlies for instance and so a bit of side tripping.

Your question is about like the old one of the piece of string. South Australia is worthy of more than three weeks, but so can Victoria be and New South Wales. Your Jayco could need wings if you lift your sights to high. Your tinny would hardly get wet.

If you are going through the High Country and the Great Ocean Road and then onwards, you will hardly have time to absorb a lot of what you have seen as a loop back through the Grampians and Western NSW but South Aussie for my friends there has heaps to offer. South East, Eyre Peninsula, Gawler Ranges and Flinders Ranges all caould take another week.
AnswerID: 93933

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:44

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:44
If you have a tinny dont go past places like venus bay on the eyre pennisula very nice place and good whiting fishing (at least it used to be). also in the general vicinity are Talia caves, seal bay (only mainland sealion colony in oz) murphys haystacks, locks wells (best easily accessable salmon fishing in australia), mount Wudinna and turtle rock as well as the fantastic fishing and scenery of the streaky bay coastal drive
AnswerID: 93945

Sponsored Links