4WD light on 1986 FJ60

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1964 Views:1758 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1986 FJ60 with the 5-speed manual box and electric transfer switch on the dash. The 4WD light wasn't working (only bought the truck a few weeks ago) and I repaired that by replacing the switch on the transfer case, so now it lights when I'm in 4H so that's OK. When selecting 4L though, is the light still supposed to come on? Mine doesn't. Is the light purely for 4H, or do I have more fault-finding to do?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris - Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00
Plexus, I used to have a 85 Saraha - same set-up as you. I never re-call having that problem but I always swiched on 4WD (i.e. 4H on the dash) before shifting the lever to 4L. The light stayed on when I shifted the lever. I never had a user manual with mine so I could be wrong but I would have thought the switch engages 4WD, and you need to do this before shifting to Low range. As with any 4WD you can't get to 4L without being in 4H first.

I look at it as the switch engages drive to the transfer case and the lever then lever allows you to select between High and Low range. So if there's no drive going to the transfer case in the first place then any selecting of rage isn't going to do anything.

Hope this helps,
Chris
AnswerID: 6595

Sponsored Links