2006 gulf trip

Submitted: Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:38
ThreadID: 19640 Views:2161 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip for 2006, May/June, Undara, Normanton,Burketown,Boroloola,Roper bar,Mataranka, Darwin etc.Can anyone tell me what the trip would be like, what the country is like and what the interesting sights and stops wouls be along the way. Will be towing Camper Trailer behind my Prado TD.(Time is no option) - will be retired.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Austravel - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:16

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:16
You'll have a ball we did it last year, but included Chilligo which has some great caves. Fuel past Kurumba was damn expensive, petrol was up to $1.50 per litre at Hells Gate and Wollorgrang (spelling). Some free camping but also a lot of signs up across the Gulf road stopping camping. Loved the place and could have spent a lot more time in and around Leiman River NP and the fishing camp. You'll see stacks of people on the road and I mean it, heaps of people doing it vans etc. Don't think I'd take a $60k plus van on some of those roads but each to their own.
AnswerID: 94226

Reply By: Member - Landie - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 13:50

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 13:50
Hi Big Bo

We were through the area east of the NT border in July / August. Plenty of things to see and do along the way.

Hema have recently produced a map "The Savannah Way" (I think that is what it is called) and it would be a useful thing for your trip.

Lawn Hill National Park is worth seeing and you should plan a few day, also Cobald Gorge near Forsyth.

Also, give the tourist information centre at Croydon a call, very helpful and they wil send information on the region.

Good luck in your travels,
AnswerID: 94265

Reply By: Member - big bo (NSW) - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 20:45

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 20:45
Thanks Landie and Austravel for your comments looking forward to the trip.See you on the road sometime.
Regards
AnswerID: 94334

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 22:59

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 22:59
bo,

Get into the archives on this site, there's heaps of info that people have put in, on the great trips they've had.

Lucky you, to have plenty of time. Stop and smell the roses, wattle, gum trees etc.

Have fun, safe travels..

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 94358

Sponsored Links