Satphone service providers - new info

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 17:52
ThreadID: 19673 Views:1985 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

A follow up to ptcrowe's post and thread which I contributed to - new information to hand.

A mate of mine has contacted the Iridium service provider TR Telecom who I was talking about in this thread.

I was advising the thread that the alternative to an account was a GSM SIM set to international roaming (Telstra) in your Iridium satphone was an alternative to having an account. Calls to and from phone within Australia are charged at $3 a minute. No Iridium account required.

Further to that for medium usage requirements may be this alternative from TR Telecom.

They will let you take out a $30 per month plan with normal call rates (about 60% cheaper than the above method and no charge to receive) BUT the big difference over Telstra is that when you come back from the trip you can contact them and put the account and phone no on hold for $15 per month until next time you need it.

Short or long periods of activation are fine, and apparently there's no limit on the number of times per year you can do it.

I'm going to give it a try. That way I can leave the phone on to receive calls IF I need to and don't get charged to receive calls from all and sundry the same way I would if I left my GSM SIM in it.

Hope someone else finds it useful.

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 20:53

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 20:53
I pay my $30 per month and ghet $10 free calls if I use the phone. Taking it oseas next week. Will see how it works out from there
AnswerID: 94455

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 00:40

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 00:40
So tell me Willem, these sat phones, like you obviously can take it ANYWHERE, and still make calls without having to change stuff?

What I mean is, if you are in London, and ring someone here in Australia, you are still using the same carrier? And if that's the case, does that mean that if you ring say..... America, does it stay ALL with your carrier for the whole call, or do you still have to go thru Ma Bell, ATT, etc?

Wolfie
FollowupID: 353436

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 02:23

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 02:23
Same carrier Iridium.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 353439

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 07:35

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 07:35
The call goes up to a satellite, cross linked to as many other satellites as neded. Down linked to Iridiums Gateway in the USA, sent via dedicated fibre link to the receiving countries Iridium station.
Then it's patched through the local phone network to the receiver.
Short answer, yes it uses AT&T, Bell etc in the US.
Iridium are only the satellite carrier and end their involvement at their Gateway.

See, How Iridium Works Click on "Place a Call" in the top left corner, then Click on "Iridium World Satellite Service"

Hope this explains it,
Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 353442

Sponsored Links