Adele's Grove Lawn Hill, Carnavon Gorge

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 23:16
ThreadID: 19685 Views:8097 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all, I'm new to this, I'm in need of info on camping grounds in Adele's grove, Lawn Hill Qld and Carnavon Gorge,Qld. Will be there in June 2005. Also what is the best gorge trip to do at Katherine. Do you have to pre book. Thanks for any helpful tips. My first centre of Australia trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 23:52

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 23:52
Hi Wayne
You can do a search here in the search list above, there have been lots of info written on this area.
Adel's is really good and depending on your needs (kids, generator etc) it is best to email/ring Michelle there and ask. http://www.adelsgrove.com.au/
Very nice place and we have camped there 3 times so far. Best to book in as early as possible if going in or near school holiday times.
Lawn Hill N.P. is very pretty and we have been there 3 times too. The only drawback here is that you have to heat your water and take it up to the showers or have cold ones. Best to book very early as it is popular too. Nice spots very close to the gorge for the early morning sunrises/walks for piccy shots. The gorge looks magnificent when the light refracts along the gorge walls.
Carvavon Gorge is quite a place. We did the 9klms walk Cathedral Cave there and back, so make sure you are up too it. We were so tired we went back the next day and did the Amphitheatre, The Art Gallery and others we missed. http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/index.cgi?parkid=49
As for Katherine we did that many years ago so i don;t know what is available there now. We did the 3 gorge trip, same gorge just had to get out and climb around rocks to access the next 2 gorges. great piccy shots be be taken there too.

Good luck with your trip!

Cya
tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 94481

Follow Up By: 28patrol - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 00:30

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 00:30
We stayed at Lawn Hill at couple of years ago, was a bit tired but new Rangers were in and were keen to refurbish after floods, then we were evacuated because of a bushfire, but we did enjoy the stay. Had a look at Adeles Grove when we stocked up with ice, looked ok but was a bit touristy. Friends have just finished a 3 month stint working there and the place has their seal of approval. Best to book in ahead to be sure of a site. Not stopped at Carnarvon. We did the Gorge last July, but due to time constraints it was only the first 3, we were advised to book ahead and think that it was worthwhile. Next time we will do the full trip. For info, the Visitor Info Centre is 1800 653 142 or email information@krta.com.au or www.krta.com.au. If you want to stay in a caravan park, you NEED to arrive VERY early in the season or book ahead, there is also camping available at the Gorge but I do not have any details. We stayed at the Low Level Park (in Katherine, only one with a vacancy about midday) which we thought was reasonable.
FollowupID: 353434

Reply By: Member - Landie - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:04

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:04
Adel's Grove is a great place to camp, was there in July/August last year. Also stayed at Takarakka (spelling) at Carnarvon Gorge, also a great spot.
AnswerID: 94614

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:54

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:54
http://www.takarakka.com.au/

We had no problems last year booking about 4 weeks in advance for our stay in June.
FollowupID: 353548

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:42

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:42
There are two camping areas at Lawn Hill. Privately run Adels grove and the the NP area at the Gorge itself.
Adel's Grove has two areas. The grove (I think that's what it's called) and the powered site area. The grove is under trees but a bit dusty but quite close to the river and beautifull swimming holes. It's a bit of a walk to ammenities. A lovelly spot. We stayed in the grove and think that was the best for us.

The NP area is at the gorge itself and right on the water. Tubing, canoeing, and great walks are accessible. There is good day visitor accommodation. Whatever you do, do the walks and canoe to the end of the first gorge, carry the canoe a very short distance and go on to the beginging of the seconmd gorge. Fantastic. Take a camera. You can hire a water proof geer barrel at Adel's Grove

Canarvon gorge is a beaut spot as well. Excellent camping and great walks. You need to be reasonably fit to do the longer walks. I advise you also do the "night tour".

We were there later in the season of 2004 and had to book Carnarvon but we were so late in the season (October) by the time we got to Lawn Hill that we almost had the camping area to ourselves. Very very hot at that time of the year.
AnswerID: 94617

Follow Up By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:35

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:35
If you have time put Kingfisher Camp on Bowthorne Station on the "to do" list. Not that far from Lawn Hill Station and Lawn Hill NP, on the Nicholson river- un powered grassy sights under the gum trees. Fishing in the river. 4wd tracks. One of the best camping spots I've stayed at.
The camp gets its name from the Azure Kookaburras that are all around the camp. Also lots of visits from Pretty Face wallabiies
FollowupID: 353545

Follow Up By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:37

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:37
Now that I think about it, I don't think any of the sites are powered. Water taps on the organised designated spots though. These are Ok for caravans, camper trailers or tents.
FollowupID: 353546

Follow Up By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:45

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:45
It's Monday - not too clear in my last response - Iwas talking about Adel's Grove.
FollowupID: 353547

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:06

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:06
I'm led to understand that you need to book for Canarvon Gorge NOW or you may miss out. Not sure about the others but I do remember a free camping area near a river/creek about 30k's south of Lawn Hill near Riversleigh(sp)
AnswerID: 94622

Reply By: Member - Wendy - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 17:25
Adels Grove does not have powered sites. The formal campground has sites that mostly still have a fair bit of bush around them, one tap per site and a fire place each. There are sites specified for generators,too. The grove part does not have formally marked out sites, but is in amongst big trees and closest to the waterhole on Lawn Hill Creek.Is further to walk to amenities and taps though.There is shop that sells ice, basic groceries, drinks etc. Fuel is also sold there. Can also buy meals there and I believe they are now licensed to serve alcohol with meals to guests. The nat park campground gets a bit dusty and many of the sites have little shade. Cold showers only, no fires, sites are more crowded together than many at AGrove. There are 3 really good walks at the Nat Park, plus the canoeing up the Middle and Upper Gorges - 6km total canoeing - so if you like walking, allow several days there. We were at Adels Grove in a mid - late June period and it was really interesting because the annual Ffossil dig at Riversleigh used the Grove as their base and there were interesting talks most nights.
AnswerID: 95003

Sponsored Links