Windscreen Wipers

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 23:39
ThreadID: 19686 Views:2155 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

My 2000 Frontera has developed a problem with the windscreen wipers but only when I select intermittent mode. When I select this mode they move 1/3 of the way up the glass and then they stop. All other wiper functions are as normal.

I've done all the normal stuff like put new blades in, visually inspect the wiper motor, take the cowling off around the steering wheel and visually check the switch mechanism and clean the glass etc but can't work it out. It appears the wipers use a common motor to power them in all modes so I am thinking that if it is working OK in all other modes then it is OK, so I am at a loss as to what is wrong.

I will probably let the local Holden guys have a look at it if I can't work it out, but would be most appreciative if anyone has some ideas of what else I could check out.

Cheers

Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 08:12

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 08:12
in intermittent mode the wiper sending unit sends like a pulse of electricty to make them work and then they return to the rest position, maybe the returning to the rest osition isnt working. sad thing is I dont know which bits resposible for the rest bit, the motor or the switch. I'd try the switch first
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 94502

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:13

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:13
Bonz,

I think you are right but it's difficult working out exactly which bit does what.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 353490

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:23

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:23
Sounds like the old age problem is on you. Bite the bullet you are going to have to replace the switch unit which of course will cost a heap. Its just probably a $2 bit that has gone futt but the whole unit will have to be replaced.

I had a Ford Laser that had a problem that it was not cancelling the indicators out on the return of the steering wheel. The plastic piece inside the switch had worn out. Down to Ford to get one of the pieces of plastic - no go. Could only buy the whole unit for $160.

A couple of weeks later the same thing happened to my 1963 MGB. Off to the local MGB spares shop to see if I could replace the piece of plastic or if I had to buy a complete unit. Hey presto the plastic bit was available in a kit with the special rivet to replace it for $5. I told my MGB guy about the Laser and he told me it is a matter of safety that on new vehicles you have to buy the whole switch built at the factory. You were not allowed to play with them.

Hey ho off you go with the placcy.

Like my Frontera but wish they did them in diesel.
AnswerID: 94513

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:15

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:15
Hi Guys,

Yes I think I may be up for replacing the whole part and I reckon GMH will do OK out of me as well.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 353492

Reply By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 16:47

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 16:47
brian.. my wiper started doing a similar movement to that a couple of months ago...
is had simply come loose off the rotator.
clip off (carfully) the cap on the bottom of the wiper... and do up the nut which holds the wiper on... see if that works?..
if not.. you know the answer.. get out the cheque book!
AnswerID: 94686

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:38

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:38
Thanks mate, I will check it out.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 353582

Reply By: techie - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 02:24

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 02:24
I would suggest the problem lies in the wiper motor.
The wiper motor has an auto-cutout internally to ensure it completes it's cycle before stopping when it is disconnected from the power.
The internal cutout has a dirty connection.
If you use it on slow speed and disconnect at the right moment ie after it's normal rest position but before it stops on the intermittent position, it will stop as it does on intermittent.
Not easy to explain but is a common occurence with wiper motors.

AnswerID: 94939

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 12:37

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 12:37
Techie,

Thanks for the info.

I will have a look at it.

From your experience is it a repairable problem.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 353832

Reply By: techie - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 13:54

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 13:54
Not having worked on the model vehicle you have, I cannot say.
How hard is it to pull the motor assy out of vehicle and is it a sealed unit?

I find windscreen wipers are connected to the wiring loom via a plug connector which is easily accessible.

May I suggest you take a wander to a local wreckers who has a replacement and substitute it into the loom in place of yours and test it on the spot.

If the unit operates ok then you know your motor is the problem.

Another test: remove the wiper blades, remembering their position, and then try the intermittent wiper function. Without the blades there is less load on the motor and it may "jump" the faulty part of the track and complete its cycle. This would also indicate the problem is in the motor.

Regards
TEchie
AnswerID: 95135

Sponsored Links