Rear View Mirrors

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 10:34
ThreadID: 19692 Views:2915 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently working through the things I need to get prior to our Freedom Outback being delivered prior to the Easter holidays. I have got most things under control except what type of rear view mirriors to get.

I drive a 2003 3Ltr Nissan Patrol T/D and am interested in feedback from other owners as to what brands they use and why they choose these.

I looked at the Aussie Truck Mirror yesterday which looks preety good, but would like more info before making a purchasing decision.

All feedback will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Patrick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kevint - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:49

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:49
Patrick,
I use Aussie truck mirrors on my Jackeroo towing Jayco Starcraft van. I reckon they are pretty good, easy to fit and adjust, good rear vision. Would be my choice.

Regards KT
AnswerID: 94516

Reply By: Member - Brian D (WA) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 13:28

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 13:28
G'day Patrick, I also own a GU TD Patrol and over many years of caravanning with a variety of vehicles I reckon that I have tried most mirrors on the market.
I currently use the American version of what I think is the same mirror that you are talking about, door mounted via a lipped plate which fits in to the window channel then to the door bottom via a strap with a rigid adjustable brace back to the mirror arm?
If so that is what I would use, the only negative that I have re my set is that the strap slackens when wet and that I find that I have to use leverage on the tightening butterfly to get sufficient tension, that and the relatively high purchase price aside they are the ducks guts.
Rgds BD
AnswerID: 94533

Follow Up By: Patrick - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 14:30

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 14:30
Yeah, that's the one. They seem preety solid but do came with a $$$$ signs attached.

Have you ever used the Ora model that attached to the mirror as an extention? I was told that they vibrate too much but put that down to salesmans hipe.

Cheers,

Patrick
FollowupID: 353475

Follow Up By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:26

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:26
Hi Patrick,

I have a set of ORA mirrors on my Pajero. They do vibrate a bit but not too bad. If you go ORA I believe you need the magnetic support arm. Stops the mirror folding back when being passed by semis.
My van is only 7 ft 6 inches wide and on my last trip I forgot to take my mirrors. I am wondering now if I really need them with the Pajero.
FollowupID: 353534

Reply By: Member - Brian D (WA) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 14:55

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 14:55
G,day Patrick, Yes I have used the mirror extension style, they do vibrate a fair bit and are susceptible to wind gusts, specially on folding mirrors, would only choose to use these based on a one off or very occasional basis where price was the determining factor.
Rgds BD
AnswerID: 94538

Reply By: Member - Jim - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:49

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:49
Patrick

In my opinion go the Aussie Truck mirror, and only spend the money once.
The strap does slacken when wet, but can be tightened.

Do yourself a favour and cut a couple of bits of polystyrene foam (small 10mm blocks) to put under the strap in strategic spots to avoid the vibration noise (if you get any).

Regards
Jim
AnswerID: 94552

Reply By: Patrick - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:53

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:53
Thanks Kevin, Brian & Jim for your feedback. It looks like the 'Aussie' is the way to go.

Cheers,

Patrick
AnswerID: 94553

Reply By: Ray Bates - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 22:00

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 22:00
Hi Patrick,
Have you ever considered installing a rear view system. I have priced several and for around US$275.00 you can buy a complete system. I do not have one but intend to install on before I go on my next trip in April. My son has fitted one as he is self employed and does a lot of reversing in tight spots with a large trailer. If you go to www.rearviewsystems.com you can see all their products
AnswerID: 94585

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:17

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:17
G'day Patrick

Rear view camera is worth considering. I have installed a CMOS Wireless Camera with infrared illumination (for night use). The system cost $299 at Jaycar. You need to either carry your TV in the car, mounted so you can see it in the rear view mirror, or get a specific 7" flat screen TV monitor ($399 at Jaycar) to mount on dash or hang from roof between your headrests.The camera should be mounted on the outside of the van. Mine is on the roof after I found that the infrared lights reflect off the inside of a window, if mounted inside. You will need transformers or 240v inverter to connect the camera and the receiver as they are 9v and 8v respectively and come with a 240v transformer for plugging into normal power point.

Hope this is of some help...........Cheers.........Rob

You can see those tailgating idiots that you can't see with any mirror extension.
Picture isn't excellent, but it does the job.

AnswerID: 95078

Sponsored Links