Something Else to Check?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 16:09
ThreadID: 19699 Views:1961 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thought the following might help anyone planning the "big trip' later this year, and doing a thorough vehicle check before departure.

Dad asks daughter to slip down to the dam, in Mum's wagon(80 series d'sl), and turn off the pump. Dad heads off to do something he'd forgotten, or been told to do!!
Daughter finds Dad a few minutes later, and says, " something wrong, it keeps stalling". Dad flares up, because this wagon has never given any problems in over 6 years. "What the bloody hell's wrong with it?" or words to that effect.
Lift the bonnet, and nothing obvious, no smoke, flames or the like.
"Crank it over, eh" Engine starts, just, and labours away, very sick. Stops when it feels like it.
Dad works primer pump, and pressure builds up. As pressure builds, something shiny catches his eye, a tiny stream of diesel coming out of the flexible hose between filter and injector pump.
Removed leaking hose, and fitted new length. No dramas, but old hose was badly cracked in numerous places, and definitely would have failed on our trip to Brissy next month.

Pretty long winded way of suggesting you check any fuel/other hoses, where they are close to heat sources, and bent to any degree. Failing that carry a metre or so of required hose size, and a couple of hose clamps.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ianmc - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:43

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:43
Thanks for that BobY as no one else has said so.
Must get some spare for my ute!
AnswerID: 94579

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:01

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:01
G'day Bob,
Had another Diesel leaking experience a few years ago of a slightly different ilk.
I was under pressure trying to drive through Brisbane CBD with no idea of where i'm going and all of a sudden all this steam starts coming out from under the bonnet. No where to pull over on the side of the road and traffick bumper to bumper. Stop the 4by anyway, pop the bonnet and a 3 week old fuel filter had split and was piddling diesel all over the donk. Luckily I found a Yota Dealership about a k down the road.
Moral of the story, buy quality and not by price. It was one of those Rip Every Poor Customer Off brands.
Hooroo to u too
AnswerID: 94620

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:32

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:32
Driving through that part of Brissy would be bad enough, Des, without the split filter.

The reason for my little tale caught me unawares, because the offending piece of hose had only been fitted in the last few years. Expect faults like that from older vehicles.

Yeah, bit hard to go passed quality filters.

Hooroo...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 353772

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:00

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:00
Didnt the smell of diesal give it away? When working for the Geol survey you get atuned to the smell of leaking diesal as ripping out fuel lines was common. I carry a metere of inlet and a meter of outlet with double ended adapters + hoseclamps to fit. Strangely enough the most damage prone part of the fuel tanks was the inlet/outlet nipples on top of the rear tank. If you were to have a look you would say it would take a freak mishap to bust them off but they would go nearly every trip
AnswerID: 94630

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:38

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:38
Davoe,

Ripped the fuel hose off. and broke one of the nipples, on fuel solenoid, on an old HJ75, driving in the channels some years ago. Caught on some lignum, and tore it off.

That model only had the one solenoid then, and had a good, hot, diesel shower while swapping the hoses over. These sort of problems usually happen when you're going to town, done up to the"nines".

Never had probs with rear tank, other than baffles breaking off, and sitting on fuel level float.

See ya...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 353774

Sponsored Links