Truck Air Horns

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:15
ThreadID: 19702 Views:3306 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday everyone,
i have been given a set of air horns of an old International but i have no idea how to set the system up,i plan on getting a small air tank off a truck,i will not be running anything else off it so would i be able to get away with using a cheapo compressor from repco?what other things would be needed to control the air flow?like a cut-off switch or similair,apart from that i would love to hear from anyone has tried this before and can give me some tips,as i have never attempted anything to do with air tanks before.
cheers
rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tuff60 - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:33

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 17:33
Pembo, I have set up a few of these for mates, using what you said truck tank, el cheapo compressor. If you want the system to recharge automaticly, you'll need a hops switch(like on arb compressors) wired in before the relay for the compressor and a fuel shut off(to activate the horn), which you can get from any wrecker of a duel fuel car. they're not desighned for the pressure but I have no problems and they're dirt cheap. hope this helps.
AnswerID: 94548

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 20:40

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 20:40
Rob,
I agree with what Tuff60 has said. Another idea for the switch is to use the one from ARB which controls the diff lock/s (air solenoid?)
AnswerID: 94567

Follow Up By: Tuff60 - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 15:14

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 15:14
I too looked at these when I first started playing, they don't really flow enough air for full volume of the horn and they cost a fortune, unless I got ripped off at about $60 each compared with $5 for a used fuel lock off solinoid.
FollowupID: 353562

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 15:01

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 15:01
Yep, I set mine up with a 1/2 Gallon Truck air Tank, my Blue Tounge Compressor, and ARB pressure switch and an ARB 12V air Solinoid. Works awsome!
I don't know exactly how well I cheaper air compressor will go at an 80psi restart though. :-(

AnswerID: 94661

Reply By: CMB - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:39

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:39
Rob,

I set up an agricultural chemical sprayer solenoid ($65) that handles 140 psi. I have a remote switch by the turbo timer behind the steering wheel so that the normal horn still works. The switch is a dash mounted horn switch that activates a relay via a fuse. The relay activates the solenoid (an electromagnet).
My horn is a train style horn. They usually need high pressure (at least 50 psi) but low flow. The air supply could come from a small a/c that has a tank like the ARB job etc. I have a modified air cond comp fitted with a 5 litre tank (a tank any bigger needs certification). The supply is via 6mm truck brake line (I cut into my pressure gauge / switching line. My compressor has the usual high and low pressure switches like the ARB job.
Horn sounding duration depends on tank capacity and compressor capacity. Obviously my 8 cfm compressor can sound the horn all day or until something rattles loose (it's loud enough to make a nearby doof doof car CD player skip, LOL).

Its good fun but you have to be responsible because it can scare people. Have fun.

Regards,

Chris.
AnswerID: 94727

Sponsored Links