gq 5th gear problem

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 18:30
ThreadID: 19704 Views:1960 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've just come back from a w/e away and noted on both the trip up the coast and back that on changing from 4th to 5th there is a clunk & grind before it slips into gear. Changing down from 5th to 4th is fine and changing up and down through every other gear is fine. When in gear the car seems to run fine as it always does.
The only time it doesn't do this is when the car is cold for the first couple of km.

Sitting at traffic lights I put my foot on the clutch and worked my way up and down through the gears and they all shifted fine except for an occasional clunk from 4th to 5th, though not always.

Any ideas as to the problem?

I wondered about insufficient clutch release but the problem is only in 4th to 5th and not with every gear change.

The other thing could be the transmission fluid needs changed and is due in 7000km but is this likely to cause these symptoms?

After that I'm a bit stumped. I don't want top pay for a new gearbox or an overhaul.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top Cat - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 18:50

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 18:50
Possibly this is a sign of the clutch on its way out.

If it has only just started then chances are thats it.

Alternately you could try this as suggested by Jackworld on there website under tips......drivetrain.

Many owners have complained to us that they are suffering from "crunching" gears especially when the engine is cold. We have had some success with this problem by using a thinner oil in the gearbox. Normally these gearboxes and transfer cases should be lubricated with engine oil (as for all Jackaroos) not S.A.E. 90 gear oil. However on the later models we have had some success with using synthetic oils which are thinner than engine oil when cold but less susceptible to temperature-induced viscosity reduction which could cause oil-film failure . We use Castrol Formula "R" Synthetic 10W -60W.

That is an exert from there site and can be found here.... http://jackworld.alphalink.com.au/drivetrain_tips.htm

I would however definitely get it checked out.........a bit of care now may save you thousands later.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 94556

Reply By: 80scruiser - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 20:50

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 20:50
Try Caltex Textran oil
or Mobil 424.
This oil does wonders for Landcruiser gear changes.
AnswerID: 94570

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:34

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:34
Now that last tip about Landcruiser gear changes IS a good tip. Anything's better than "a standard Landcruiser gearchange"!

I've driven a 1959 AEC crash box with a better change than my Landcruiser!

Bilbo
AnswerID: 94754

Sponsored Links