exhaust

Submitted: Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 00:14
ThreadID: 19711 Views:1810 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1999 nissan patrol GU DX 6 cyliner diesel with 37,000km on the clock. It drives well and is in as new condition . My problem is it has no power when towing the Jayco Hawk poptop caravan (have so far only done a test tow for 100klms) I have thought of putting on a turbo ..too expensive at $4,500.... Am now thinking of putting on extractors instead...Any information on the best option would be grateful..thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Maurice F (WA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 00:43

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 00:43
Hi i turboed my GQ 4.2 10 years ago with a schwitser turbo and 2.5'' exhaust made it into a different vechicle, now have a 4.2TDI 2003 very slugish till i replaced exhaust and most importantly 3'' drop pipe i would recomend schwitser unit very easy to fit yourself, i dont think extractors are going to give you what you are looking 4 you have to get air in as well as exhaust out
Maurie
AnswerID: 94597

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:13

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:13
Hmmmm.... maybe you're expecting too much?? Towing does mean that you have less power to weight and can't overtake any more. Can you keep up with traffic? Is fuel economy bad? You see, I've gone down the track of all of your ideas, extractors, big exhaust, turbo... all lift the performance a percentage. The problem is that this percentage is based on the engine. ... so.... if you can get even as much as 30% increase [which is not really likely] that is still only 30% further up a hill before you change down gears, or 30% earlier that you can change up gears. It doesn't seem to translate all that well into excelleration etc. [my experience].

A new donk would change things. But having spend mega bucks... I have come back to the idea that maybe upgrading your vehicle will actually be the cheapest option.

Having said that though.... my supatrupa has just died [still waiting final diagnosis]... and now might be the time to put that big diesel v8 in... hmmmm
AnswerID: 94624

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:47

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:47
I thought turbos could set you back a bit less than that. However when you consider a whole new upgraded exaust system could easily cost 1k maybe a turbo would be worth some extra financial pain. There is no reason why your patrol with such low ks shouldnt be good for at least 10 years without majour drama and in 10 years you will still be smiling as you tow your caravan - but you will have forgotten how much your turbo cost
AnswerID: 94634

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:20

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:20
G'day George,
I currently drive a 2000 GU with 150,000lkm on the clock. It's a 4.2 turbo. My previous vehicle was a 1993 GQ diesel. This was my first diesel and after having owned a 4.2 petrol Maverick before that, I was very disappointed at the diesel's performance. I spent about $2,500 (in 1995) on a safari turbo and 3" full exhaust and it was a totally different vehicle....as good as the petrol in my opinion.
I don't believe you need to spend $4,500- on a turbo. You should be able to get a decent set up for about $3,500-. I think you would still be disappointed with the result of putting extractors on. As one of the other blokes said, you've gotta get more air in before you worry about getting the gases out more efficiently. A naturally aspirated vehicle is relying on atmospheric air pressure to perform.
Having said that, one thing I have heard some non-turbo owners say is that the addition of a snorkel with a air-ram can aid forcing some extra air into the in-take and give a slight increase in power.
Good luck
AnswerID: 94696

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:34

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:34
G'day George

How about a good run down to WA in April. That'll fix it. lol
AnswerID: 94698

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:39

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:39
gg,

Snorkels & exhausts are only band aid sollutions if you really want more grunt, they may give a little more performance & slightly better fuel econimy, but if you want power for towing bang on a turbo, as someone above has mentioned at 37,000k you'll have several years left to get over the pain of the price.

Browny
AnswerID: 94746

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:10

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:10
Extractors do nothing on a TD42. They did nothing on mine, nothing on the bloke I sold them to, and not worth the effort. Specially if your unhappy with the power, if any it is MINIMAL..

Denco Turbo Systems are well under $4000.00 and worth it. Contact them from this site, their service in my experience, second to none.
AnswerID: 94800

Sponsored Links