Big River Forest - Shortcut Track No.1

Submitted: Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 14:42
ThreadID: 19728 Views:3293 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings,

Just enjoyed a nice weekend at the Big River State Forest. Saturday arvo involved a little 4x4ing down the Shortcut Track No 1. About 3/4's of the way down the track used to go to the right (very difficult) but with a newer section to the left (a heck of a lot easier).

So my question if you know the area and the track I'm talking about is: Have you attempted/failed/accomplished this difficult section of the trek. I wish I had taken a photo of it. Anyway I look forward to any responses.

Marko
(only six weeks till the Flinders Trip :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:09

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:09
I dunno if it was shortcut 1 or 2 i walked down last year, but it had some mighty deep ruts (5-6 ft) and looked like a hell of an effort, but there were tyre marks each side only about 1/4 of each tyre contacted the surface it was that wide and deep.

I'll have to check out the new section at easter time when i'm up there, What was frenchmans creek looking like at the crossing? much water? and is that huge tree still across the track near camp track turnoff?

BTW if anyone wants a damn good walk do the loop of frenchmans creek track, up camp track, back along frenchmans spur track and down the shortcuts. Damn knackered me the day i did it.

cheers Brad
AnswerID: 94690

Reply By: NissanofOld - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:57

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:57
Short Cut No 1 now has a diversion on the right (going up), the left track is strictly for tuff trucks. Short Cut No 2 is not as bad, but is really a 'go down only' unless you have difflocks and raised suspension. Coming down Short Cut No 2 in the wet is a spincter tester in itself.
AnswerID: 94699

Reply By: Mr Z - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 20:51

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 20:51
done both 1 and 2 on my bike, i 'd like to keep a few straight panels on the patrol!
i was also up their sat night and sunday (no bike just 4b)
AnswerID: 94714

Sponsored Links