100 Series interior help.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 15:51
ThreadID: 19732 Views:4139 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Everyone,

Going to help someone install a single DIN CD player and speakers into their V8 100 Series Landcruiser in a few days - just wondering if anyone can give me a quick description how to easily remove the center dash plastics to get to the radio - as I don't want to accidentally damage someone elses pride and joy accidently.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.
biscuits @hotmail.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan S (NSW) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 16:48

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 16:48
Inset a flat edge screndrive covered with a cloth into the gap and ease it out, take your time and it will come out easily and without any damage. Two clips top and each side if I remember... but it no problem at all, just take your time and don't force it.
AnswerID: 94687

Follow Up By: Member - Alan S (NSW) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 16:50

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 16:50
That should have read:

Insert a flat edge screwdriver covered with a cloth into the gap and ease it out, take your time and it will come out easily and without any damage. Two clips top and each side if I remember... but its no problem at all, just take your time and don't force it. Start with one side.

I'm tired, time to go home

FollowupID: 353573

Reply By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:12

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:12
biscuits.. not that i don't want to stop you being a weekend auto electrician..
but be careful when installing CD units etc these days.
mate of mine works at JB Hi-Fi (a NSW car audio place) .... and they do not warrant any units (Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine etc) that they do not do the installation on.
so just a warning for you if something happened (hopefully not) went wrong! it may cost $60 for the installation.. but hey.. saves you if it blew up and wasn't covered by warranty.... and have to buy another one for >$300?!@>@>
hope all goes well..!
MozZa>!
AnswerID: 94694

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 18:10

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 18:10
I can't see how JB HiFi could void a Sony/Pioneer/Kenwood etc warranty because they didn't install it. There are laws against that I'm sure. Perhaps what he really meant is that if you blow it up during install then that is not covered by warranty.

I used to work as a tech for a car audio company and we would do warranty work regardless who installed it (shop or owner) or sold it originally. Thing is though is it is blatantly obvious if it has failed due to poor installation techniques. Usually you could tell before you even opened it by the smell ;-)

I remember getting Pioneer units from a particular AutoBarn in a lower socio-economic area that would send multiple units to us every week. 99% of them would hve blown the transistor that controls the power antenna. Which is funny because the first time they shorted that wire to earth it would have blown the power antenna use but then they would replace the fuse. The 20amp fuse was usually still in the wiring harness when they brought it in LOL. It is meant to be a 0.5amp fuse.

So long as you read the instructions carefully and don't short any wires out (yes even speaker wires) and use the screws provided (not longer ones) then there is little that can go wrong. Remember to connect the earth wire first. As if you turn it on without it connected it can blow stuff up as it tries to earth through something else like the radio antenna.
FollowupID: 353586

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:50

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:50
what happens is they dont replace it on the spot . they need to sent it away for inspection to make sure you didnt blow it up . Mean time , no radio for u
FollowupID: 353628

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:04

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:04
Unless it was DOA then it gets sent away anyway. Unless the store you bought it from had their own techs like we did but that was rare. We got units for repair from lots of retailers.

However as you say even if it was DOA and you installed it yourself they would send it away anyway as they can't take the customers word that it was DOA. The chances of getting a dud from a major retailer would be slim. I remember only one DOA the whole time I worked there.
FollowupID: 353656

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:18

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:18
Or save your time and money and buy a portable MP3 (iPod or el cheapo alternative) player that the existing radio can tune in to. Cost may be line ball but no more mucking around with CDs in the car.
AnswerID: 94750

Reply By: Frshn - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 00:07

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 00:07
make sure the 'yota takes din-sized units. be aware that *all* jap head units (pioneer, kenwood, jvc, sony, etc) are *jin* size. jin is slightly smaller than din. jin will fit into a din hole but not vice versa. for fitting jin decks into a din hole, jap units always come with a bezel that clips onto the front of the deck once the deck has been installed into the dash. if the jin deck goes into a jin hole, the bezel is not required (and will not fit for that matter).

i was caught by surprise when i tried to install an vdo-dayton satnav unit into my gu patrol. i pulled out the stocker unit and found the satnav was too wide to go into the vacated hole. via the fone, vdo-dayton told all i've written above and that their satnav units are, in fact, din sized (and the gu's hole is jin-size).

perhaps of interest, vdo-dayton and nissan know for a fact that their satnav units wont fit into a gu's dash but nissan sells as genuine oem accessory, this same unit that i can't fit into my dash. nissan's solution has been to mount the satnav unit with a special bracket (that is not sold separately to the kit) under the driver's seat.
AnswerID: 94759

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:21

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:21
Check out this VDO FAQ

It reckons that all of their gear will suit either din or jin mount.

As you said all Pioneer/Sony/Alpine/Kenwood (and apparently VDO-Dayton) etc come with a surround to cover the gap when it is mounted by pushing in through the front (e.g. using the din rail). The surround is not needed when mounting in most Jap cars such as my Rodeo when you remove the dash front panel and bolt the radio in from behind and then refitting the dash.

There are some cars where you have to bolt in from behind and still use the surround cover. I think VN-VS Commodores were one of them.
FollowupID: 353658

Sponsored Links