gibson desert crossing

Submitted: Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:08
ThreadID: 19734 Views:2004 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
goodday all
maybe a question for willem ( hope you are still enjoying youre sojourn up the bush) or john r but what sort of tyre issues are we likely to come up against in the gibson .at present we are looking at doing a double crossing going south and heading to rig rd etc from birdsville going across to oodnadatta north to mt dare and back to birdsville via poepells cnr and big red time frame of a week to 10 daysweather depending

steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:10

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:10
just to add to above we will be doing this in august
AnswerID: 94692

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:18

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 17:18
G'day Steve

Back home again for a few days.

I take it you mean the Simpson Desert?

I ran my pressures at 15 psi in the dune country. Once out of the sand towards Oodnadatta you could go back up to 25/28psi. What are you driving?
AnswerID: 94695

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 20:27

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 20:27
thanks willem
i was in the wrong desert as long as i dont mix them up in august
i am in a patrol gu deisel 4.2 my bro in law has the 3 litre both have long range tanks and i have the hf radio hopefully will have a couple more bits before we go

steve
FollowupID: 353600

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 18:57

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 18:57
G'day Steve,

It looks more like the Simpson for what you are suggesting by geographic references. The sand of the Simpson influences the pressures you would run and low as Willie suggests. If it does get wet while you are there, but unlikely in August you would like to think you have some tread digging cabability otherwise a close tread seems fine in sand. Low tyre pressure on sand minimises damage to the environment even on the tracks as it digs it up less for the next driver.

One the stony tracks the deeper tread the better I think but running once again Willies' reccommended pressures in the 30-35 psi range. With our weights more like the 35psi, in your wagon 30 should be good, minimal bagging of the sidewalls for damage.

We pitched for the cheapest tyres last winter Steve, Chinese made American branded Hercules at $172 plus GST. I understand from others that many of the outback dealers tend to stock up on these too. Good and chunky but can get muddies too if you want them. They kept clean actually even on the wetter sections. Have done 15k on them so far and looking good. You can even get higher ply ratings too. I reckon the deeper the tread the further away the piercing stones are from the air in your tyres.

Willie has made comment in other places about his Coopers and chipping.

I can send you a pic if you like Steve. Hope Denny is well too mate.
AnswerID: 94703

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 20:23

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 20:23
goodday john and heather
and willem
thanks for the replies yes i was off to the wrong desert john (must have been the big glass of red with tea) i am running hankook a/ts not as chunky as i would have liked but not to bad
did you get thruogh without damaging any tyres as i have a couple of tyres without rims and wonder if it is worth taking them as well or just the repair kit

thanks steve

yes denny is well
FollowupID: 353599

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:12

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:12
Steve, you know our rig, it has usually two spares. We also carried a spare tube but that went into the Paj we helped back on the road after the rollover, but we picked up another one in Innamincka.

We didn't have any punctures but the rear wheels both scraped the underside of the tray with the wheel articulation taking chunks of tread off. We swore at our body builder many times.

Not taking sufficient spares is a bit like Russian roulette I would have though. We had no trouble but have heard quite different stories of others. I reckoned our original tyres seemed more likely to hole with stones than what we have now. I could be proved wrong but that is my impression. You know the originals on Nissans, starts Br......... and last 30K kms if you are lucky. Don't want to start an argument.
FollowupID: 353626

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:07

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:07
Just reading your post-this will interest you.
A friend and I, in two vehicles ,crossed from Birdsville to Mt Dare and up the Old Ghan 2 years ago in Sept
1 vehicle was a 4.2 turbo nissan
The vehicle (near new ) had fuel problems and was eventually tracked down as a blocked fuel filter which is installed inside the Banjo Fitting above the fuel pump,
not the main filter.
recommend you go to your service man and get hin to demonstrate this little thumb shaped gauze filter and how to remove it.It caused all a lot of heart ache out in th desert.I think all the dunes and corrugations shook small particles up and eventually they built up in the fuel filter. we ran on 18PSI all day and had no tyre problems.
AnswerID: 94718

Sponsored Links