CUB camper trailer modifications

Submitted: Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 19:29
ThreadID: 19738 Views:17755 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of buying the very base model touring camper trailer and modifying it for light offroad use.I can buy a new Kamparoo Vacationer for $8000,no options.It is a measly 290kg's total weight(good thing with a 2.8 rocket).Ive already got all the cookers,fridge water tanks etc and just want a starting point to build up a decent camper from there.Could get the Trans Continental pack for another grand but believe I can do all that much cheaper.This would only be used for mainly gravel roads here in Tassie,will stick with the tent for the Kimberly trip this May also dont want the hasstle of towing while on holidays.
Thanks Nick

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pjd - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:27

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:27
if the trailer is only 290kg i would be a bit sus about adding that extra weight of fridge water tanks ect make sure it is solid enough & check the id tags to see if it can handle that weight if so good luck
AnswerID: 94725

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:11

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:11
We did exactly what you are proposing in late 1979 with a basic Cub Campomatic (virtually a tent on wheels) I reinforced the chassis and drawbar where I though it was necessary, fitted 14" Holden wheels with light truck radials, widened the awning about 3 feet. We towed that camper all over Oz for 10 years with zero probs, Simpson (was graded road in those days as roadtrains crossed via the rig road), Kimberleys, Cape York (no alternative to telegraph track and no bridges or ferries either), you name it we took it there with zero probs.
In 1989 we sold it to friends and it still going strong with zero probs and still with the original tent section.
due to the arrival of kid number three to replace it we bought a base model Cub Supamatic off road which was modified basically the same as the first one. Again it has been all over Oz, the Gunbarrel was it's first trip and again with zero probs.
We carry everything in the truck and the camper is just a tent on wheels, no water tank (it's in the truck along with food and all the heavy stuff) and packed with bedding, clothing , annexe, camping gear etc. It weighs 400kgs loaded!
PM me if you want and I can send pics re the basic reinforcement points and mods.
AnswerID: 94773

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 17:36

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 17:36
Thanks Peter but after checking out the Tambo Campers,I think I might give them a shot.Cheaper to start with and with all the options still cheaper but quality looks good.
Cheers Nick
FollowupID: 353725

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 13:52

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 13:52
HI Nick,

For $8000, you could pick up a Tambo Camper with treg hitch, toolbox, electric brakes, wall with window for annex, gas lift side, extra jerry can holders, stone guard with extensions to side of camper and you would have change. It is already an off road camper, easy to set up and put down solo, easy to tow. I have recently purchased one and absolutely love it. Tambo can also freight trailer to where you need it. Keith and Amanda are fantastic to deal with also. Weight is approx 530kg with all this gear on it.

Cheers
AnswerID: 94822

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 17:38
Gday Glenn,sure look the goods.Have contacted them for a price to Tassie. Thanks for that , Nick
FollowupID: 353727

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 19:41

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 19:41
Hi Nick...don't forget to mention you are an Exploroz Member...the side wall for the annex will be thrown in for nicks.....but then again, I will be buying another wall as two are better than one....

Go Tambo!

Cheers
FollowupID: 353751

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:42
Gday Glenn,if we decide to get one we'll go for the full front/side kit I reacon.How long does it take you to set up by your self,camper and std annex.Does the tent section ,sort of, fold out as you set up (like an internal frame that stays there)or do you set it up like a tent and remove the poles each time.Do you think it would be possible to build a solid floor for the tent section and mount it on top of the trailer while travelling.Sorry for all the questions but would be buying it blind ,so to speak,and as you've got one your the perfect person to talk to.
And yes already told them Im a member here and was pointed towards them from this site. Cheers Nick
FollowupID: 353809

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:10

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:10
Hi Nick,

I leave the annex attached and fold it up over the camper when packing up, so that saves time. So far I have only set it up in the heat of summer, so I have not rushed the job. The quickest it has been put up was 30 mins with the help of my wife. All other times it has been solo, so it has taken a while longer. The tent section does fold out with the poles remaining in the canvas section. The only poles that are part of the internal structure are two that run from the centre roof poles to the end roof poles. These are only really required if it is windy. I wouldnt bother about a solid floor. I use a ground sheet under the tent section, and eventually I will buy some type of floor cover for inside on the floor. Shade cloth is used for flooring in the annex. I erected mine when I first bought it and weathered it really well, and low it doesnt leak at all when it rains. A tip I just learned from Tambo, was to open the side lift when setting up as it means you are not pulling from the horizontal, and will make it easier...haven't tried it yet though. I am only 5'7" and find it isnt a struglle to erect and dismantle solo. If you need to ask any other questions, email me at adminat4wdadventureozdot com.

Cheers
FollowupID: 353928

Reply By: viajeros - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 21:03

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 21:03
I have used Cub Kamperoo Trailers for several years now. I had an early 80's cheapie with very worn cotton canvas, traded for a 1994 model with excellent poly-cotton canvas.

Fully loaded, they weigh less than 450kg, so not such a problem for my CRV to tow. (CRV's are not an ideal tow car due to lack of low RPM torque).

They are a very lightweight simple flipover camper, definitely not built for the rough stuff. However, they are cheap, and only take 30 seconds from parking to bedtime.

In my opinion, the current model Cubs have attrocious quality control, especially the metal body and chassis. Probably why they are so cheap secondhand.

I intend to purchase a better late model trailer this year, probably a Pioneer flipover. Also a lightweight 30 second setup type.

For the really rough stuff you definitely need a heavy duty box trailer type camper, but remember that they take a little longer to set up.

Happy Trails
Paul L
AnswerID: 94880

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 16:05

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 16:05
I agree their quality control leaves a lot to be desired a lot of the problems I fixed myself to make sure they were done my way anyway. But haveing said that had no big problems with it on the last couple of big trips. Like they say you get what you pay for.!!!
AnswerID: 94995

Sponsored Links