Canvas or Dome tent?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:32
ThreadID: 19777 Views:2654 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm about to by a two room dome tent but I have only experience with a reliable old now worn out 10' by 8' canvas type. It looks to be a wiz bang tent for two adults and two kids but what are the trade offs... how long to put up (really) etc any ideas would be valued thanks tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:49

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:49
30mins to assemble... looks like a pair of breasts in the distance......leak a bit in the torrent rain...... blow heaps when windy....cheap to buy...
AnswerID: 94912

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 23:28

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 23:28
If you are looking at the Sportiva Odyssey forget it. I had a good look at these large double domes and stretched a seam on the fly at the camp store and the thing ripped and we had to beat a hasty retreat. The floor was also like tissue paper. Prices also varied from $549 (www.discountcamping.com.au) to $749 (www.grangerscampingworld.com.au) at different stores. For $749 you could buy a COI Tornado Extended Touring Tent of 13 x 10 ft when they are on sale. We sleep 4 comfortably in that tent with the side pole kit with plenty of storage room and area to walk around in. Really thick floor and completely waterproof. 5 minutes to put up.
AnswerID: 94920

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 23:51

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 23:51
we have the Odyssey dome 2 room tent, never leaks, never tears, great in the wind, up in in 10 minutes, very comfy,, weve got no complaints.

Clive
FollowupID: 353785

Follow Up By: hoyks - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 21:08
We have a Sportiva Odyssey 6 as well and have had no problems or leaks with it. Total camping time in it is about 7 nights and 4 of those were rain. Enough room to swing a long tailed cat too.
Setup in 10 minutes, you must have a crack tenting team, I take around 30 to have it fully set up. but I generally do it alone as my wife is buisy stopping my 3 yo daughter from "helping".
It is a bit of a bugger to pack up though, and why is it that tents never fit back in the bag that they came in? If you want a touring tent I would go with a smaller one as putting up and pulling down take a while and the tent takes up a lot of room, but for a stationary camp they are great.
FollowupID: 353861

Reply By: Top Cat - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 08:12
I own a 6 person plus 4 in the second area dome tent.

It is from the top end of the market and has silicon impregnation on all seams.

For 2 people it takes no more than 15 minutes to put up.

Thus far it has only been through one storm and did not leak even a single drop........and dont expect it will..........wind was no problem either.

Mine is big enough to stand very comfortable.........about a 2m x 2m space in centre where I can with no probs.........and Im over 6 foot.

Its exactly what i wanted.........ease to assemble, easy to pack........light and takes a bag size space in the truck, head space and with fly screens on all walls, it can be kept cool during the day if necseaary..........last but not least its big enough to spend a day in playing cards if itsbleepdown.

Mine measure 5.5m x 3.1 from memory.
AnswerID: 94944

Reply By: timborees - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:34

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:34
Hi tcmcdcac,

Both have there place, if you want one to last with small kids fallin over in it and generally being treated roughly, used monthly, need to put up/put down regularly then you cannot go past the centre pole (canvas) style tourer. I have a 8yr old southerncross canvas tent, as good as the day I bought it (been totally thrashed by my kids etc) puts up in 5 min (suits our purpose) At times I think a dome would be better (especially if you are stayin put in one place for a lot of time) as they are normally bigger etc.

My mate has a Sportiva and he puts a tarp over the whole tent/camp area except when it blew a gale up double island before chrissy it flapped so bad it rubbed a whole in his fly (I wouldn't of had a tarp over the SCC tent and even if i did it wouldn't of rubbed a whole in it)

More care required, more time to put up, but lets a lot more light/air and you have more room. Think about YOUR requirements then you will make the right decision.

Don't forget cost, good canvas tents are $800 upwards, this sort of money will buy you a Coleman Northstar 8 (very good Dome tent IMHO) Have fun.

Timbo
AnswerID: 94957

Reply By: Darylive - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 14:30

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 14:30
The first thing to get is a decent big tarp with good poles and sprung ropes. Put it up first then you can set up camp under it. The tarp protects the bloody lot from the weather. First to go up last to come down. If erected properly with sufficient poles and sprung ropes you are grinnin. Top should be reasonably flat, just enough fall for run off, so it does not catch the wind. Hold a flat hand out the window of a moving vehicle parallell to ground, you know what I mean.

You have a dry camp and plenty of room under cover. Then the kids can have a little dome to keep them happy and out of your hair. I have the OZ tent throw up jobby. Folds like a windscreen shade and you just pul lit out of the bag and let it go then peg it down. Two minutes.

Get a good tarp, poles and sprung ropes (make the ropes your self) the tent is for privacy only. I often just use the tarp and swags, sometimes just the swags. And yes the kids have swags and love 'em but they do like the tent.

Daryl
AnswerID: 94986

Reply By: tcmcdcac - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 22:26
thanks heaps to all of you ...many brains make light work...?
the tents suggested are better than the one I was looking at and the internet links are good.
at the moment i'm impressed by the canvas Tornado ext touring and the dome Norstar 8 hybrid. i'll have a look at that sportiva odyssey 6.
cheers
tony
AnswerID: 95048

Sponsored Links