Nissan Patrol GU 4.2TD Air Filter - Tech Question

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 11:15
ThreadID: 19787 Views:2777 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Foolishly, i removed my old air filter without checking which end was top and which was bottom. Before i put the new one in, is there another 4.2TD owner who can advise which end is which? One end has a rubber ring seal. The other end has a foam/rubber ring around it. Im thinking the rubber seal would go to the bottom but would like that confirmed. Its a Nissan genuine filter.

cheers !

Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 11:54

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 11:54
G'day Michael,
I must say I did exactly the same thing, & didn't pay attention the first time I removed the filter...
However, logic tells me that filter would go in with the rubber seal thingy at the top... This would then be slightly compressed for a perfect seal when the top cover is clamped down... Make sure you get this aligned correctly..
That's the way I put 'em in anyway;-)

As an aside, you'll notice inside the top cover, round the edge where it mates with the filter housing, there is a felt (??) seal... Noticed recently that mine was a little "dilapidated"... went to the friendly local spares dept to get another of these... Not listed as a separate part!.. Have to buy a complete filter housing (& cover).... How stupid is that??!!!!.... Needless to say, I "resurrected" the old one...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 94972

Reply By: sevo - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 13:41

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 13:41
Gday Micheal,
The factory install of these filter is rubber seal to the bottom. Tech bulletin then tell us rubber seal to the top!
Cheers
sevo
AnswerID: 94978

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 21:10

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 21:10
So then it doesn't matter which way then?

Leroy
FollowupID: 353863

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:17

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:17
The after market ones have the rubber seal at both ends, actually it,s more like a foam seal.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95064

Reply By: Michael N - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:26

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:26
Thanks guys. I took a closer look at the fouling on the old filter, compared to the fouling inside the housing and worked out that the rubber seal was definately at the top on the old one .. so thats how ive installed the replacement. There was a few mud splashes inside the airbox so it might be time to get a snorkel !

cheers for the answers !

Michael
AnswerID: 95081

Sponsored Links