Depreciation of campervans

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 16:35
ThreadID: 19792 Views:2847 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

Can anyone please advise me which out of the three brands of campervans would have the lowest depreciation? We are looking at purchasing a new camper-trailer and have considered Jayco, Goldstream and Coromal all with similar features. Some are more expensive than others, but at the end of the day when I come to selling it, which would hold it value the best?

Are there any other brands out there that you would also consider that is similar to the Jayco Swan?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 19:51

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 19:51
Hi Gibbsie,

Most vans hold their value real well, provided you look after the van. Condition is more important than brand IMHO.

I would take a look at the Windsor Rapid, but I am biased as I have one! I started out looking at the Jayco Swan/Flamingo and ended up with the Rapid for various reasons after seeing the differences. Click on my rig pig below for a few shots of it.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 95011

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 20:53

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 20:53
If concerned about depreciation why not buy something secondhand in as new condition?

Leroy
AnswerID: 95021

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 21:33
was thinking the same thing!
FollowupID: 353869

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 22:20

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 22:20
Often depreciation is linked to the time you wait for them to deliver a new one.
If they are a popular van that take 6 months to deliver, it stands to reason that customers will pay more for a second hand unit if they can't wait. Also if the price of the van goes up slightly each year the second hand value will increase also. A camper whose new price stays the same for 3 years would have a worse resale.
Cheers Craig.....
AnswerID: 95046

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:33

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:33
Spot on Craig! Due to the increasing popularity and new price of our model of campertrailer (Camprite TL8) the value of our 2 year old trailer is now more than we paid for it new. Appreciation NOT depreciation!

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 353898

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:14

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:14
Its a sellers market at the moment.
I would suggest looking at good 2nd hand jobs.
However if you do want a new one then the brands you mentioned are popular and will all hold their value.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95063

Reply By: Davo - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 19:28

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 19:28
Why not look at hiring as an option. This way you don't have to worry about purchasing, depreciation, selling or storgae once you're back home.

Myself and my partner are continuously looking at different camper trailer, and then tossing in the Jayco Hawk/similar optionsince we'll be having kids shortly.

It's much cheaper for us to hire one first, try it out and then try another one and compare the pluses and minuses; then when we eventually make the decision to buy one, we've at least tried a couple of different options.

Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 95550

Sponsored Links