Engel 24Amp Hour portable battery pack

Submitted: Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 198 Views:2233 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with the Engel sealed battery packs. When operating my fride on 1 ( fridge setting) it should be using less than 1 Amp per hour yet the 24 amp battery is flat in less than 12 hours. Do I have a dud or do they not perform as well as the salesman implied.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Sunday, Apr 29, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 29, 2001 at 00:00
Andrew,like all electric appliances there is a lot of variables,i have a 550cca battery fitted to my camping trailer,it gets charged via the auxiliary cable in the trailer plug,with a full battery on the fridge setting and two fluoros
i get about 30 hours under a shady spot but if a lot of sunshine gets on the fridge it gets cut down to less than 20hours,if you read trough you may find that all the claims are made under optimun conditions.
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 390

Reply By: Ian - Sunday, Apr 29, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 29, 2001 at 00:00
The other thing is that the 1 setting power draw is an average, the fridge will draw its usual current (probably around 3-4 amps) but being a warmer setting, the compressor will run less (cycle time). This is also dependent on the conditions, and for this you need test conditions to match those that the specs are quoted at.

As an example, if 1 Amp is quoted for 20oC, if it is say 32oC, much more power will be used.

In short, every situation is different, and 24 Amp hours used in 12 hours in reality is probably fair. I do not own an engel, but I use a custom built fridge with a Danfoss compressor that would use similar power.
AnswerID: 391

Follow Up By: Joseph Baz - Monday, Apr 30, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 30, 2001 at 00:00
Ian,for some time now I been thinking about a custom build fridge for my camping trailer,mainly to make better use of existing space,what are you experiences with the Danfoss compressors,are they as reliable as the Engels??
RGS Joe
FollowupID: 84

Sponsored Links