National Towing Regulations

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:59
ThreadID: 19811 Views:2097 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This site may be of interest to all of you who tow.

National Towing Regulations

Cheers, John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tessysdad - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:32

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:32
Hi John,
unfortunately, either because the info is old or just inaccurate, some of the information given is not correct. E.g. The speed limit for vehicles towing a trailer in WA are no longer restricted according to the weight of the trailer. The new rule, which I believe is Australia wide simply refers to a maximum speed of 100km/hr for a vehicle towing a trailer. The other error is that the open road speed limit in WA is 110km/hr, not 100km/hr as indicated in the info. One of the other things that could be problematic is that for weight capacities it suggested you look at the owners manual or the sales catalogue. It should be noted that these two items sometimes have differences. E.g. The sales catalogue for my GU Patrol says a roof capacity of 200kgm and the manual says 100kgm the last time I read it. It all gets a bit confusing at times even for those who you think should know, like and RAC spokesman on the radio a few weeks ago making the same error regarding speed limits for vehicles towing trailers. Best thing to do is look up legislation on the various Gov. sites and keep your manual open at the same time.
Happy camping,
Mike.
AnswerID: 95111

Follow Up By: Dion - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 22:45

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 22:45
Mike,
The new rule, which I believe is Australia wide simply refers to a maximum speed of 100km/hr for a vehicle towing a trailer.
As far as I know, this is not Australia wide, in SA, if the signposted road speed is 110km/h, you can do that with your trailer, and I don't need to tell you about the NT.

Cheers,

Dion.
FollowupID: 354050

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:25

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:25
Guys, I queried the webmaster and he admitted the info is out of date and has removed it.
One of the links referred to this site which is good info about trailer design regs so I've reposted that link.

Sorry for the duf gen...

Cheers, John.

FollowupID: 354096

Reply By: Old Johno [NSW] - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:52

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:52
Info I recieved recently is that in all states, with the exception of WA, you can pull a trailer/caravan at the local speed limit.
However WA has a maximum speed limit of 100KM/hr
AnswerID: 95355

Sponsored Links