Off Road Caravans

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1984 Views:2608 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
we are currntly looking at buying a caravan to go off road with. we are looking at 1. Golf [outback] 2. supreme {getaway] Anyone with any information regarding either of these would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des - Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
Joanne . we had a golf c/van some years ago, and although it may have lacked some og the grand features of other vans, we found it more or less unbreakable. We towed around just everywhere. It went up through the center a couple of times and when others vans were cracking and breaking across the A frame , ours just keep on going. I remember shaking the doors off inside, and removing plates from the battery in the car, but the van always remained useable. It was also worth fixing, and has been, and has been sold, and is still going. Get the feeling that I like them? Yep, there a good jigger..... Des
AnswerID: 6643

Reply By: Graham - Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
How "Off Road" do you want your van to be? We recently purchased a 17ft Evernew "All Road" van as I prefere to call them with coil/shocker sugar glider suspension and are happy with that so far, they have a pretty good name and been making them for 35yrs, also don't sell thru dealers and are made in Melb. where we live, so no commissions & freight although maybe no cheaper the money seems to be in the materials quality used.

The Golf and the Supreme do make a reasonable 'all roads' vans. What state are you in? Kedron in Qld seem to also have a good product

You may want to repost on this caravan forum site for more views
http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/general.msnw

cya
Graham
AnswerID: 6649

Reply By: Kiwoka - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00
I have a couple of friends with Supremes and none are really happy. One had a small accident - Very low speed roll on side. It totaled the van. Not from the roll but the recovery. When it was righted, the weight of the van falling back onto its wheels caused the van to roll the other way with a lot more force. and BANG it was nothing but a pile of rubble. You couldn't salvage anything from the van.

Have you looked at Bushtracker. www.bushtracker.com

I have been through the same questions for the past year and have concluded that the ONLY van that can handle ANYTHING is the bushtracker.
AnswerID: 6689

Follow Up By: Kevin - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00

Having just purchased a 2nd-hand 15' Supreme I'm interested in how a very low speed roll occurred - type of terrain, weather etc. Plus the things that make your friends not really happy. I settled on the Supreme as an interim (and affordable) learning step on the way to a Trakmaster or Bushtracker.
FollowupID: 3001

Follow Up By: Stephenf - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00
Kiwoka, I would also be interested in what is wrong with Supremes. My wife and I have been looking at vans for a long time with a view to buying one next year when we retire, and the Supremes seem very well finished and comfortable compared to most others. The fact that one was wrecked when it rolled means nothing.
FollowupID: 3017

Reply By: Fred - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00

Joanne I agree with Graham's comments re "off road". You really can't go "off road" with a caravan without putting yourself at some risk of getting stuck. I hope your intention is to go off the bitumen but still on roads. By the way even those roads can be very difficult if it rains. Don't even consider off road destinations like Simpson Desert, Canning Stock Route, Victorian High Country or Cape York. Stick to the roads and have fun!!
AnswerID: 6716

Reply By: Fred - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00

Joanne I agree with Graham's comments re "off road". You really can't go "off road" with a caravan without putting yourself at some risk of getting stuck. I hope your intention is to go off the bitumen but still on roads. By the way even those roads can be very difficult if it rains. Don't even consider off road destinations like Simpson Desert, Canning Stock Route, Victorian High Country or Cape York. Stick to the roads and have fun!!
AnswerID: 6717

Sponsored Links