Hilux Surf KZTE OR Challenger Which is Comfort and Take-off

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 23:01
ThreadID: 19845 Views:2194 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys

Just asking if anybody tasted Hilux surf - New Model KZTEs and Challengers V6 in teams of Comfort, Takeoff e.g ((0-60km/h) and inteams of Fuel Comsuption

Contributions will be apprentiated

Thanks

Mallya
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:00

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:00
Well the KZTE surf is basically a Prado but slightly lighter.
It's got the Prado running gear suspension, constant 4wd, intercooled 1kz-te TD motor, it basicallyis a prado with a different shell.

Havn't driven a challenger but am under the impression that it has the old mitsi 3.0L V6.

I own an older surf, the non intercooled 1kz-te TD.
My friend has a short wheel base 1991 Pajero (3.0L V6).

I'm a hell of a lot heavier than him (with all my crap in the car), he has a manual I have an auto and I can almost keep up with him from a standing start at the lights. So I'd be saying that they would be pretty much of a muchness, the advantage of the Surf being that it is diesel so will be cheaper to put fuel into and will enjoy 4wding a little more than the V6, however the V6 will be able to do just as good off road, it'll just work a little harder and probally be a little better on the sand dunes.

Both will be very expensive to get parts for (aren't they all now days). Mechanically the surf will be easier to work on (the 1kz-te is a gem to work on IMHO) and the mitsi will be a bugger to work on.
Panel wise the Surf is going to be a bastard as they never used that particular body in Oz, the previous models used the 4 runner body, but the later ones 1996 on wards use a totally different body. So if you buy one try not to dent it!! ;-)

The surf's motor will out last the mitsi (if maintined properly) at least 2-1. However the mitisi motor will probally cost you half the price of the tojo to replace, so it's pretty even so far...

It's all down to personal choice I guess, both would be lovely trucks, just depends on what your after...
AnswerID: 95375

Follow Up By: Mallya - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 23:01

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 23:01
Thanks Jeff

But to my understanding the 91 Pajero engine has 12valves SOHC while the Challenger is 24valve SOHC I think this makes a difference

Cheers
FollowupID: 354344

Sponsored Links