Danfoss Interference

Submitted: Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 17:07
ThreadID: 19862 Views:1862 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi HL
Could you email me the details to stop the interference from the compressor to the HF radio
Regards Ray
charlton_nippa(at)yahoodotcom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8troopie - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 01:20

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 01:20
Ray, I have a boat fridge that uses a danfoss compressor. This gave me lots of unwanted noise on the Hf band and also some noise on the medium wave band.
I tried lots of things, including running the fridge on a seperate battery, but with little success.

I found the noise radiates from the compressor electronics and is picked up by the HF antenna.

A big reduction in interference was noted by simply connecting a good earth strap to one of the copper pipes at the compressor housing and connecting this directly to the fridge battery negative. Make this link as short as possible - mine is about 50cm long.

I also have a noise filter unit in the 12V supply lines to the fridge but this by itself made little improvement.
I further mounted the fridge compressor electronic board in a shielded & earthed metal box rather than the plasic one it came in, its a major job though and not recommended unless you are very familiar with electronics.
More trials were noise filters at the radio power leads but, since the noise gets in through the antenna, they did little good.

have fun, it can be a vexing job.

Klaus
AnswerID: 95479

Reply By: hl - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 06:53

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 06:53
Hi,
Have mailed it...let me know how you go.

Cheers
AnswerID: 95481

Sponsored Links