Maxda Bravo B2500 2000 model

Submitted: Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 17:23
ThreadID: 19863 Views:2913 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Dear all,

I am considering buying a Maxda Bravo b2500 2000model. Not sure if its a DX or SDX yet, but will know after viewing it tonight. (I suspect it may be an SDX as it has a colour coded canopy and power front windows)

I would appreciate any feedback in relation to this vehicle and your opinions in response to what I have written below.

The vehicle I am considering has travelled 95,000kms and the seller is asking $20,000. I'm buying it primarily to perform the function of a versatile weekend family vehicle, it will have a relatively easy life covering approx. 10,000km - 15000km per year which will include some towing, some highway driving but predominantly it will be used for short trips around Sydney (10-20kms suburban w/end driving) .

My in-laws live in outback NSW, we visit them twice a year (2000km round trip from Sydney) we don't cover much in the way of dirt roads but what we do cover takes its toll on the cars we have owned to date (currently a camry wagon).

Hence I want a vehicle that will get us there and back reliably for the next 5years+.

We also have a dog which is a reason for buying a ute rather than a wagon, as car interiors begin to stink if used to regularly carry wet dogs home from the beach!

I've heard everything from don't buy a diesel to they're the only way to go. I've also read they should not be used to regularly drive short distances?

Also of interest to me is whether I can expect to have years of trouble free service from a 100,000km/5yr old vehicle, or am I on a road to disappointment with sizeable maintenance bills in the near future (like new injectors, timing belts etc) ?

I've read good things about the 2.5ltr Mazda diesel, particularly how much punch it packs considering its relatively small capacity, is there anything bad to know?

Alternatively, should I just leave the diesel alone and go for a petrol vehicle?

I'm sure I'll come up with other questions but I'll leave it here for now.

Look forward to seeing your responses

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 17:41

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 17:41
Camry not handling the dirt??? I had an 89 camry which was the best dirt tourer 2wd I have owned. Decent ground clearence, and long travel soft suspension would just gobble up potholed and corragated Eyre Penninsula roads and certainly tough enough to get to most of my favourite fishing spots people thinke you need to acess by 4by these days. I have a photo at a (failed) attempt to reach some salmon fishing cliffs in the lincoln nat park over limestone capping my freind and got out and rocked the car as it was perched on 2 wheels. 90k in three years and service costs only. got written off by a taxi with 170k
AnswerID: 95410

Reply By: conman - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:41

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:41
Hi Shaka,

I've got a 99 ford courier with 260 000kms. Its a turbo diesel, and i've never taken it to a mechanic since i bought it at 190 000kms 3 yrs ago. The diesels great, and I mainly use it around town, it blows no smoke and overtakes in 5th gear even with 31 inch tyres on. Mind you it was serviced by the book by the original owner who did 190 000kms in 3 years.

My economy averages out to 10l/ 100kms which is great.
AnswerID: 95434

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 22:56

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 22:56
Shaka, its coming up to a fairly expensive service at 100,000kms, timing belts etc so maybe U could negotiate a bit.
Son has a petrol which has about 240,000 & goes real good & seems to drive better than my Triton which looks similar underneath.
AnswerID: 95458

Reply By: mr fixit - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 08:27

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 08:27
I have a late 99 SDX 2.5 turbo diesel 4x4 d/cab that I use as a work ute
It has traveled 72,100 km . I purchased this new for $44,000 with all extras.

Since new it has had two diffs, the first one being a recall by Mazda,
the second one just become noisey. They were both replaced under
Mazda warranty.
The gearbox was overhauled by me with Mazda suppling the parts as a
*after warrenty service to me* big harted dealer !!
The gearbox required the front and mainshaft replacement because the hardfacing had worn off. . .I was not verry happy considering it had only done
40,000 but was out of warrenty by time. The retail cost of this would have been about $2000.
The air filter assembly was replaced under warrenty after dust was found in the intake pipe. They had a small flat panel type element and it was replaced with a large cylinder type. The glow plugs have been replaced at about 65,000.

Other than that all I can say is the vehicle has never been off road. . .except to a little farm we have at Mudgee NSW about once a month. . .. all it does there is travel on dirt roads. I am a self employed motor mechanic and the vehicle is serviced every 2 months or 3,000 km. It has never been over 3000rpm or 110km. The vehicle is kept immaculate.

It drives like new and uses 10l/100km loaded or empty.
The cabin noise is a lot lower then most other diesels in its class
I have other models of these vehicles that come to me for service etc and none of them have had the drama I have had.
Just pasing this info on for what its worth. . . . .now let the **experts ***make there coments.
AnswerID: 95486

Reply By: mauricem - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:04

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:04
is this a dual cab? if not it sounds a bit expensive. I recently went through the exercise of costing a new ford courier single cab (same vehicle as the mazda) and it was going to cost just on $26k on road with tray tow air etc for the TD. This was about $10k less than rrp as per fords site. about the same as what dealers wanted for second hand 02 models! Dual cab was $30k.

This was the base GL model and I know things like canopies can quickly push up the price but for me Id spend the extra on a new one.
AnswerID: 95498

Reply By: mr fixit - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 17:29

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 17:29
Yes it is the SDX model duel/cab etc
AnswerID: 95542

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 18:43

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 18:43
Mine was 99 petrol - good vehicle - the canopy bit is good as you say for the grubby factors like dogs. Sold it after 9 years - it had a new head by then (leak that could not be fixed). Mate had a 99 diesel with the power windows - for 5 years but - - also a good machine. You are of course heading into the ownership territory where the bigger things tend to go phut - its only a good idea if you get it at a really good price in my view. As the others have said, check the service issues just ahead. I sometimes wish I'd bought a Hilux, because there are no recond parts around for the Mazda (EG: I could not get a recon gearbox anywhere shoudl I have wanted one - apparently no recon anything in SA - everything needs to be knocked down and repaired). Wreckers even screwed their noses up on some bits - friend had a gearbox go on his hilux during a bush trip - gearbox for changeover in 24 hours was no problem. This latter subject was by way of investigation - the only unfortunate issue I had was the head.
AnswerID: 95548

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 18:46

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 18:46
er.....forgot to say....they are after all only a painted tin box - very much a workman's vehicle with a few tarted up bits glued on to make them appear an interesting recreational vehicle.... possible the foundation of all popular cars sold these days !
FollowupID: 354296

Sponsored Links