Submitted: Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 08:56
ThreadID: 19879 Views:2047 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Phone starts ringing........

"Hello, App------ ---------, Ian speaking."
"Ian, it's J---, how are you..."
"Good J---, but I would rather be somewhere else"
"Well, that's why I'm calling. I've got this little project I want you to do."
As soon as they say 'little project', I start to worry......
"What is it J---?"
"We need 17 rockets made, in 4 weeks. The largest is only 3 metres high. They have to be EXACT replicas of the ones launched up at Woomera."
"J---. are these for the remodeling of the Heritage Centre?"
"Yes, how did you know?"
"Because I spent most of my life there as a kid, and keep in contact with people up there. I was up there the other week, and the centre was closed for remodeling, which they knew for AGES, was going to happen, and NOW they want rockets?"
My mind casts back to the books that Len Beadell wrote, on how the boffins were always disorganized, and expected overnight miracles.
So, I look at my calendar for he next month, and see that I have got a six day trip penciled in, up to the painted desert.....
"Sorry J---, just got a huge order come in 2 days ago, going to have to work 24/7 just to make a dent in it......."
17 Replica rockets.......... in 4 weeks...........
You can bet if you get ONE little detail wrong, some self styled rocket aficionado, will make your life hell........
I've already left my stamp on Woomera........ no need to cement it........

Wolfie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:19

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:19
Hi ya Wolfie

Did you ever go out to Bill's pub at White Dam?? It was Bill McDougall's place with quasi pub attached and was a good spot for a glass of plonk and a donantion to the RFDS. About 10k's out of Andamooka.

Cheers
AnswerID: 95488

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:27

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:27
No, I don't recall the place.

Is it on the west side, or the north side past the cemetery?

Wolfie
FollowupID: 354280

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 19:22

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 19:22
Nah...its up past Andamooka station. In earlier times you couldn't enter Woomera so we used to skirt the town to the east and head up a track that went past the footy field. A real goat track and it took about 4 hours to get there. White Dam is right beside lake Torrens and like Andamooka and Stuart Creek was all about Opals. Some interesting people lived up there and for some reason lots of them left when mr plod took up residence. Terrific place in the 60's and 70's. Now its mainly sealed road and mining. Cheers
FollowupID: 354300

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 21:28

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 21:28
Yep, know the track. Bought many of my mates in during the 70's when we had the pass system.

Was on that very same track 3 weeks ago, having a poke around Phillip Ponds, then finding Len Beadell's first Trig point he set up.

Tell me, did you ever go out to Bosworth Station, Uncle Max & Irwin? I was on Purple Downs Station, next door to Andamooka Station...... like 40 k's away.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 354318

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:31

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:31
Hope the remodelling is completed by April, thats one place I want to have a good look at
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 95489

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:34

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:34
Don't you love it...

Customer's reguly ring up late on a friday afternoon:
"hi my front door camera is not working, we HAVE to have it fixed for the weekend".

I used to be all "oh gee, we better get out there now". I'd rush off and go and fix whatever was wrong with their systems (while they sit around drinking and having a great time on a friday night, while my family is at home wondering where I am).

Then I cottoned on to what these bstrds are up to. So now I ask:
"Oh gee, when did it stop working?"
Answer:
"Tuesday".
My reply:
"Oh well, we'll see what we can do... But we are really busy, might not get there till monday.".

AnswerID: 95495

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:34

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:34
G'day Jeff,

try something like this. Always better you you give them a choice.

"Look it's pretty late notice, I'll have to get someone to work back which is pretty difficult on a Friday afternoon. We can get out there now if it is really THAT urgent it will be $200 an hour with a minimum of 1 hour, otherwise, I'd be happy to arrange someone early Monday at our standard rates. What would you like to do?"

We started doing that and it is amazing how many people will quite happily say "Oh, OK no problems, it can wait until Monday, thanks very much for the offer."

It's amazing how many people will wait until the last minute and then tell you it's an emergency. If you validate their emergency by putting WORTH against it, it can make quite a difference. You don't have to be rude to be effective, just get the customer to decide whether their perceived emergency is reallr WORTH the extra they are asking for.

Cheers all.
FollowupID: 354261

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:31

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:31
Smocky......

We do the same sort of thing as well.

Ours is a little different, whereby we always have regular jobs on for the same clients.

All of a sudden, one of them goes into panic mode, and expects all to follow suit.

We just say..."yep, we can do that, but your other job will be put back by a week or so", or...."yes, you CAN have it now, but you will have to organise your OWN electrician to second fix, and a spray painter, because the powdercoater schedule is already set".

That usually shuts them up.......... mostly.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 354282

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:36

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:36
What was that saying???

"Lack of planning on your part does not justify an emergency on my part"

Totally agree with Smocky. Point out how much it will cost them to have the job done at an inconvenient time and the tune changes.

If it is a genuine emergency then sure, the job will get done. There are plently of trades that offer 24/7 callouts but you pay the price.

But if it just a routine job then the customer has to be prepared to pay the approriate fee or wait. Trades people like to have weekends as well!

Muddy
FollowupID: 354283

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:21

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:21
I get the same thing. Phone call at 6pm on a Friday night "My air conditioner isn't working, I need you to come tomorrow as I am at work Monday to Friday"

My reply "So am I, I'll see you on Monday"
AnswerID: 95504

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:36

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:36
Nice one Pat!
FollowupID: 354284

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:38

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:38
goodday all
we have a customer who seems to think if he gets us on a friday arvo we will work harder and get his job finished quicker just charge extra anyway

hey bonz its a great and informative place to visit unfortunately it also shows what callous barstards there were around while they were testing there toys

steve
AnswerID: 95535

Reply By: Member - John C - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:00

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:00
Wolife..... that rig pic..... mate!!
Were's the website gone?
AnswerID: 95575

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:04

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:04
Ummm....

Sorry, the website is still there, but we are using our server space while my son is in Queensland ( Ribena ). He is developing a new website for the Uniting Church whilst he is up there, and using our space until it's commissioned.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 354326

Sponsored Links