FJ40 Soft-top

Submitted: Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1991 Views:7462 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at converting to a soft top, however living in Melobiourne I need one that is going to be weatherproof. I have had one quote for $1800 - does this sound excessive? Does anyone know how long they last etc? Looking to cut down the doors - does anyone have any tips of how to cap the door and where I can source some weather protection for the top of the door during winter? Also looking for comfortable front seats and a few other small items such as a hi-lift jack. Can anyone in the Melbourne let me know of a helpful wrecker or supplier of such items.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ryan - Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
Im not from melbourne, but i own a BJ40 landcruiser and find the following website most useful.
www.sor.com

Its an american website and they sell fj40 parts to anywhere in the world, if you email them they will be happy to answer any questions though. Also, there is a forum there, any questions i have about my cruiser i just ask them, and they always help me out. Some of the guys there know more about fj40's than toyota themselves!

Ryan
AnswerID: 6664

Reply By: royce - Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Phil. I bought my son a BJ42 to convince him to finish secondary school. I used it around the farm until he was 18 THEN!!!! He whipped of the roof and painted it black. He's a tyre fitter. He has fitted 35" wheels and cut down the doors. He had them capped off with exhaust pipe at the exhaust fitter. I bought him a roll frame. He has a short roof made up at the moment with a light frame and small bit of vynal velcro and slid into place. I would shop around a lot of vynal and trim shops to get quotes and ideas. Draw up just what you want. They can put sips and vynal windows whereever! See ya Royce
AnswerID: 6670

Reply By: Brettski - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
I have a factory soft-top FJ40. It cost me $300 to get a bikini top made and $750 for a complete replacement soft-top when the old one wore out. Obviously, I've already got the bar-work and all the other stuff but that's what you should expect to pay for the canvas-type work. The material my roof is made out of is the same stuff they use for boat covers and it's very weather-proof. I'm in Perth so any contacts aren't going to help too much, but any boat-fitter-outerer should be able to make custom stuff for you.
AnswerID: 6907

Sponsored Links