Long fuel tank for a 3 litre Hilux duelcab

Submitted: Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1993 Views:7540 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1999 3 litre Hilux duelcab and wish to fit a replacement long range fuel tank. There are several different types and capacities available. Does any one out there have any advice on what to fit and any problems that may be encountered eg. lack of ground clearance?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
Scooby, We have a replacement tank on our 3 litre hilux, fitted by TJM. It's about 120 litres, fits in well and wouldn't affect ground clearance. Don't know what would happen if you had to take the g'box out? One potential problem we've had is the fuel gauge, the vehicle will do about 460 kms before the gauge drops off "full". Different drivers have, or almost have, run out of fuel, when they thought the tank was full. It now gets filled daily, and nobody has any fuel problems.
AnswerID: 6675

Follow Up By: Coops - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00
my replacement tank in cruiser does the same. I figure that the sender unit operates on pressure as the gauge stays on full until I only have the same amount of fuel as would have been in the previous tank. Given that my "other" tank is the 95 litre main then running out of fuel is highly unlikely but it took some getting used to. Now I zero the tripmeter every fill.
FollowupID: 3018

Reply By: andy - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00
I have a 99 3litre duel cab sr5 and have fitted a long ranger 115 litre aftermarket tank. The fitting was a few hours at ARB and was a pretty easy job for them to do. The tank does not change ground clearance however when the thing is full it slows the car down noticably on hills. The extra weight makes a big difference to the excelleration. I have learnt to only half fill it when not going on trips. This ensures that you dont have to carry around all of the extra weight. The guage has become innaccurate and stays on Full for about 400 kms. Once it starts to drop in fuel level it then becomes accurate again. The Empty spot on the guage is not correct and I think that it then has about 20 litres to go. I have got used to it now but it took a few weeks. I am now getting about 1000 kms to a full tank.

There was a long range fuel tank available for a late model hilux in the classifieds in this website. It was one that goes above the spare tyre and works as a sub tank. May still be there. Seller was in WA.

Hope that this helps
AnswerID: 6750

Reply By: ACH - Sunday, Sep 29, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 29, 2002 at 00:00
The reason for inaccurate fuel gauge readings is that the OEM sender unit is not changed. As far as the original sender is concerned, the tank seems to stay full for longer, hence the "full" reading on your gauge for 300~400Kms.

Fill your tank and check your mileage when the needle finally starts moving down. Do this over several fills, and under varying conditions.
Then check mileage from "guage full" to a bit before "gauge empty".
You'll then have a fairly good idea of full fueltank range. (Endurance in aircraft talk!!).
AnswerID: 7036

Sponsored Links