Cigarette lighter plug - where to get

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 00:57
ThreadID: 19936 Views:2630 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We're wanting to put a cigarette style female plug in the campertrailer (interor). Currently we have 2 x clipsal style sockets but would like one of the above also. Trouble is, we can't (ie. won't) drill a hole in the side of the camper to flush mount the plug as they are in cars. Ideally we would like to get a plug that has a mounting bracket that will allow side-on mounting against the side wall of the camper. So far the only one we've seen that would possibly be suitable are the ones that come with a little mounting bracket designed to be screwed up under the dash of a car. Trouble with these in the camper is that the wires from the back of the plug and the body of the plug would be exposed and with two youngsters with the normal tendency to poke we'd prefer not to go this way. I was hoping someone out there might know where we can get a socket that is nicely tucked away in a sealed mounting case. Any ideas?

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:41

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:41
If you go down to your local boating suppliers they have a range of plugs, one is sure to suit, other than that, look here



AnswerID: 95749

Follow Up By: rolande- Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:44

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:44
Link not working, try again

link text

FollowupID: 354563

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 17:04

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 17:04
Thanks for your advice Rolande. Went down to our local marine shop today and found exactly what I was looking for in about 2 seconds flat. How easy is it when you're looking in the right place!

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 355736

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:03

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:03
Hi Melissa,

I just had a look in the 12V Shop catalogue. Nothing in a cigarette lighter socket self contained as you are after, however they have exactly what you want in a Hella style plug (surface mounted, no holes, and wires protected - even has a cap option). I put these into my camper trailer and they work great with much better connection that you get with cigarette plug and much smaller too. I made up a couple of adaptors to suit gear with ciggy plugs.

I think their catalogue is also now online.
12 Volt Shop

Jaycar also another possibility.

AnswerID: 95750

Reply By: Paul - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:13

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:13

I am yet to see a peice of 12volt camping eqipment that uses these Clipsal 12Volt connectors !

Bunnings/Jaycar/DickSmith Electronics should have the female 12Volt sockets (I think these are the ones you DON'T want). I picked one up form Bunnngs 4 weeks ago for about $14 with a plastic cap that clicks on and hinges, clicks on and molded mounting bracket.

I fitted it to my camper trailer and mounted it so it points down ie mounted it on the side wall of the camper, that way if my kids do poke things in theory.....they should fall out.

Your 12V circuit should be fused anyways so If they were to stick a $2 coin in it (they fit perfectly...speaking from experience) you blow the fuse an not the wiring.

We had our youngster stick the access card to a caravan park in the CD player of the car, while a CD was in it, and we were wondering why the new car stero would not eject the CD !!!!!! somehow I think its a difficult task to stop yougnsters poking around


AnswerID: 95751

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:50

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:50
You can get stainless type fittings too at a Marine store - that is a bonus - I got a kit awhile back for the tinny that had the male lighter fitting with a globe built in - not sure of the usefulness at present ! Guess you could also mount the female unit in your own housing - electronic type stores and electrical trade outlets have a lot of boxes to choose from.
AnswerID: 95762

Reply By: time waster - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:34

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:34
supacheap have double females in a plastic unit that you can screw up against the side of your camper,that what i used in mine,about $5.00 too
AnswerID: 95774

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:04

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:04
Hi Melissa, agree with the above.

Even if it is a "extension"style cord, just cut the end off and solder join where you need. That would be a suitable option. We have a double adapter type as described in our car for the kids DVD players in the back. I haven't bothered mounting it so that I can remove it if needed. I just plug it into the socket at the front and run the cord under the seat when needed.

FollowupID: 354610

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:08

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:08
Either that or how about this one:

Just what Melissa needs

From Whitwoths as suggested by Rolande.

Thanks for the tip too Rolande, that looks like a pretty handy website.


FollowupID: 354612

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:31

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:31
Kmart, BigW most of them have em.

Jaycar have double ones too
AnswerID: 95800

Reply By: Wayne - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:41

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:41
Hi Miff, Don't know if this is any good to you, but vaguely remember an old Falcon (XA? anyone know what model?) had an ashtray like a small drawer and the lighter was inside when you opened it. Maybe could use the ashtray for small bits, torchbulbs, loose change etc?
Cheers, Wayne
AnswerID: 95820

Sponsored Links