Cruiser driveshaft freeplay ?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 14:12
ThreadID: 19956 Views:1824 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Know there was a thread on this some time back,but didn't tell me much. How much free play should there be in the front/rear prop shafts in an 80 series auto. Mine is due to go in for a major service next week before taking off [towing] for up to 9 months in the Outback. Have about 5mm free play ,but not in the universals. Also have a oil leak from the rear of the transfer case. The uni's are the non greaseable type and have read some where that the nippled versions are better?
Drive train seems OK [180 tho. ks] On another matter someone asked a few weeks ago, how you can tell if an 80 has LSD. Manual states that if the axle code on the ID plate ends in a 3 or 5 the vehicle has LSD , mine does .
Advice Appreciated
Mike B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 14:58

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 14:58
Mike,

After that other thread, I checked my front d'shaft, and it had less than an eighth of a turn play. Imagine if yours has only 5mm play, this wouldn't be anything to worry about.

Never seen a tojo with non-greasable uni's. Must be after-market? That rear seal is easy to replace. The genuine seals look the best as they have an extra dust sealing lip, on them.

The drivetrain should be okay @180K, if fluids have been changed every 40k.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 95851

Follow Up By: Member - Michael B (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:17

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:17
Bob
Thanks,bit confused about the uni's though, read a maintence article in one of the off road mags that said non greasable unis were stanard on the 80 series? Must admit no wear whatsoever in any of the 4 joints. Definately not after market and I,ve known this 80 since the day it was new in 93. Interesting.
Mike B
FollowupID: 354743

Reply By: Member - Karl - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 16:32

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 16:32
Mike,

Anything greater than an 1/8 of a turn would be of a concern, I know as I went through the expensive process in Oct 04 of getting the new diff (I was one of the members who replied to the original list.

5mm should be okay - as it was explained to me that you can really feel the movement and mine turned over a 1/4 of a turn!!! :-(
AnswerID: 95865

Sponsored Links