RANCHO SHOCKS

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2001 Views:4935 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
DO THE RANCHO SHOCKS WORK AS WELL AS THE AD SAYS ?
SOFTER ON COMPRESSION THAN REBOUND , HOW DO THEY DIFFER FROM OME AND SERIES 2000 SHOCKS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00
Mark,

They are not double action, (I do not have them) they do not have any action on compress which makes them nice and comfortable, however this is a recent experience:
Across the simpson recently I had OMEs in my Patrol and a friend had Ranchos, he kept fiddling with his adjustment (they are adjustable) because his suspension kept bottoming out... his suspension was also a bit higher than mine (I only have a 50mm lift).
Obviously having no slowing action on compression did not help on outback roads....

Will
AnswerID: 6740

Follow Up By: Derek - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Mark. I was taught that shock absorbers control BOTH the upward and downward movement of a spring and how well they do this is dependent on the valving. What Rancho may have done, is to fit softer valving on the down stroke of the shockie piston and left normal valving on the upward stroke. Whatever the case, you must avoid the bottoming- out situation Will is talking of, or eventually something major will bend or break. Hope this is of some help.
FollowupID: 3024

Reply By: Beauges - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

4 months ago I purchased rs5000 Rancho shocks for my Holden Rodeo and I've been very impressed at the difference on corrugated roads. The allround smoothness and even handling has been great
AnswerID: 6754

Reply By: Slunnie - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

I have the Rancho 9000's and as Derek says they have very little damping on compression. When I removed the originals though, they also had next to no damping on compression and were stiff on rebound. In terms of comfort they are very good, and I would buy them again. I have recently traversed the Simpson Desert also and had a bottoming problem, though this said, the car was very very heavy and the main factor involved here is the pitch and magnitude of the bumps in the sand and of course speed. The Simpson is the only place I have also had regular bottoming. Springs are mean't to carry load, not the shocks. I am currently respecing my suspension, and the shocks will all be replaced with Rancho again. Sometimes I do notice it takes longer to get big suspension movements under control, and I leave mine on the stiffest setting, which is still comfy compared to std.
AnswerID: 6755

Reply By: mudgutz - Sunday, Sep 22, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 22, 2002 at 00:00
well there you go two blokes love em one bloke hates em .im currently looking at springs /shocks myself...and was looking at the ranchos as well but will be giving them the big miss...my mechanic had em on his 75 series says they caused him heaps of dramas with a full load..he threw em on the tip and put on some enforcers and was raving about em
reckons they were a little cheaper and twice as good
AnswerID: 6821

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
I'm also looking around at the moment but not sure what to get. I decided against the rancho's as the guy I spoke to said they didn't offer much extra travel over std shocks. Hard to believe though.

Leroy
FollowupID: 3068

Reply By: Member - Mal - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
when i needed new springs/shocks looked at rancho, but they only supply shocks .i dicieded to look for a company that supplied both .if you then have a problem one cannot blame the other i fitted OME shocks/springs 864 to rear, as i have a 160 lt tank at the rear so far ok .done one trip to camerons corner plus about 10000 ks on and on rd safe driveing mal.
AnswerID: 6923

Sponsored Links