Canvas Swags

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2003 Views:5659 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of buying a swag,has anybody got any views on swags,are they practical,or a pain in the you know where? also if you want to sell yours I might be interested if you are in Wollongong/Sydney region or nearby.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John H - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00
Chapo I live in the NT and I find that my swag is very useful. I have five kids and they all have swags, so you can imagine the space that is used up. A couple of things I would suggest you think about are:

Space, can you spare it.

Weather, up here its pretty predictable, a good swag will keep you dry but you still have to get out of it.

How often will it be used, it does make a great spare bed for visitors.

Comfort, they are great after a long day behind the wheel but there are some alternatives ie sleeping bags and comfort pads.

Lastly, how are you going to utilize it, swags and a good days bush walking don't go together, unless you have a mule.

Mate I hope this has been a little helpful, I'm sure I could talk you into getting one if you wanted or the other way as well, I've got six so you can imagine what I think at the end of the day. Some of which are fifteen years old.

regards John
AnswerID: 6736

Follow Up By: Will - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Chapo, I agree with John H...

I use one myself too...

Will
FollowupID: 3016

Reply By: dave - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Swags are great, I had been critical for a long time, until i tried one with poles and flyscreen, mine is a down under brand and it has seen some VERY wet nights without causing me any problems, until it's time to get out of the swag.

Very fast and very convenient, but not exactleyt compact and light, and no, you can't have mine.

Dave
AnswerID: 6743

Reply By: CAM - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Chapo, after treking in the Kimberleys with a wife & 2 sons I can say that I am converted to the practicality of swags. I beats the hell out of pitching a tent, inflating matresses & unrolling sleeping bags at every stop then packing it all up the next day. All this was done whilst observing my brother in law tip a swagg off the roof rack & have it set up in 1 minute. Also when taking into account the room a tent, 4 inflatable matresses & 4 sleeping bags take up, 2 single swags & 1 double take just a little bit more room but compared to the practicality & comfort it is well & truly worth it.
AnswerID: 6744

Reply By: Member - Sam - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Chapo, A mate and myself just had swags made up by Carlton Canvas Co. (337 Princes Hwy, Carlton NSW (02) 9587 0208). We took our own design, and they made it all up for us. They also have other swags there aswell, but they weren't exactly what we were after, so having our own made up allowed us to set them up the way we wanted them. Just got back from 2 weeks up on the Strezlecki and the swag outperformed my expectations. cheers, Sam.
AnswerID: 6746

Follow Up By: Chapo - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00
Sam, thanks for that, I have just been to Carlton canvas and ordered one of theirs,(with some mods),I should have thought of them as I've got one of their tents.We are heading to the Strzelecki for the eclipse in December,the wives said it would be too hot and too many flies so its just the boys for two weeks that is why I wanted the swag.Once again thanks mate for your reply
FollowupID: 3085

Follow Up By: Chapo - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00

Sam, thanks for that, I have just been to Carlton canvas and ordered one of theirs,(with some mods),I should have thought of them as I've got one of their tents.We are heading to the Strzelecki for the eclipse in December,the wives said it would be too hot and too many flies so its just the boys for two weeks that is why I wanted the swag.Once again thanks mate for your reply
FollowupID: 3086

Follow Up By: Member - Sam - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00

Not a problem, am only 3 weeks back from there myself. Enjoy the trip!
FollowupID: 3087

Reply By: Phil - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Chapo - I have a Wild River brand swag. I agree with everything people have said thus far. My only complaint about my swag is that it is the tent style and can feel a little cramped (I am six foot three). Next time I will opt for an 'open' style that I am able to unzip and lay under the stars and will use a seperate insect net if needed. I love being able to unroll it and go exploring while the other fools fumble around with tents and air mattress' etc.
AnswerID: 6751

Follow Up By: Member - Sam - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Phil, that is the style of swag I had made up. I had it set up so I can zip a mozzie net into it when i need to or unzip and remove completely. haven't yet test driven the mozzie net though.
FollowupID: 3023

Reply By: Bob Y. - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Chapo, I've still got the same swag I bought in 1964, albeit with 3rd cover, and the addition of a 1" mattress and 2 R M Williams Bush rugs. The original blankets resemble thickness of mozzie nets these days. Have always used a 10' X 8', or 10 x 12 camp sheet, and have never used one of these modern tent style swags. With a swag you have bedding for all seasons, hot & humid, lie on top of canvas and sweat, or during a Barkly Tableland winter, under numerous blankets with the tarp pulled over everything to stop that infernal se wind.
Sleeping bags are okay, but swags are made for comfort, vehicles and our glorious outback.
AnswerID: 6759

Follow Up By: Rick - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Like Bob Y, I use an "old" style swag. Having used a camper trailer for some years, I am again appreciating the simplicity of a swag. About a year ago, I bought a you beaut swag for my wife, from Candy Canvas here in S.A. It is suberbly made, and my wife loves the security it offers against reptiles, snakes, spiders, etc. But I would say that it is really only a secure sleeping bag made of canvas - in other words a canvas cocoon.
My own swag, used since 1973 and still OK, is a a sheet of quality canvas 11' x 12'. This is large enough to have plenty of canvas area to stand on while undressing & getting into the swag, and wide enough to enable the side flaps to throw over each side and tuck under the feet for those cold nights. There is also enough length to have my pillow & overnight bag on canvas, not getting pushed into the dirt, and to pull over the head if it rains. (nothing like getting rained on in a swag..it sounds like a deluge, but might be only a few drops.)
So you can see that width and length are important. I have a high density foam mattress 2 " thick, with a sheepskin underlay and a sheet on that. Then a doona for winter, or blankets for summer. To combat mossies, an independently erected mossie net gets rolled up as well. A cocoon style swag has zips to acheive a similar tempaerature control, but that's all.
The whole roll has less diameter than the "bought" brands, so it stores on the roof rack well. It would have to cost less than an off the shelf model.

Hope this helpsyou, William.
Rick.
FollowupID: 3031

Follow Up By: Johnsy - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
bob y you can only fully appreciate a swag when your camping on the ground with one of the barklys lazy winter breezes and a doona goes well .chapo the bigger the ground sheet the better keeps dust rain and blinding sunlight out after a big night
FollowupID: 3106

Sponsored Links