Does the 100 TD need a turbo timer in Northern Australia's heat

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 17:50
ThreadID: 20044 Views:3010 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,

I always had a turbo timer on my 80 TD and people have said that I didn't need one on the 100 TD - but maybe that is cos I live in Sydney . I will be pulling a boat on a Track Shak up to the Daly River ( NT ) in April and I was wondering if anyone thought I should get a turbo timer for the trip . I thought the weight and the high ambient temperatures might make it a good idea .

Thanks ,

Willie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 18:37

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 18:37
Willie, I got the Cd's in the mail, thanks very much mate. I didn't want to a specific post about them to say thanks, as there was a moron wrecking the forum , plus I figured it would get deleted and you may not even see it.
As far as the cd's go, I have to agree with you. I can't for the life of me see how they would be good for their advertised use,..." Fishing, hunting, 4wd, bushwalking, prospecting" the quality is just too low, the best you can see is major highways and roads.
So thanks again, they aren't much use to me either, cause I can't find anything except a few major towns on them. So I am passing them on to a mate and see if they'd be any good to him, failing that the missus reckons they would like them at school.

Thanks again for sending them my way....and I can see how you'd be PI55ED you payed $$ for them.
AnswerID: 96296

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:24

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:24
G ,
No problem - you can see now why I was annoyed that I had wasted my $100 . I mentioned in a later post that Juliana had offered me a credit , but it was too late .
Just give them to your mate or send them to Truckster - he wanted you to make him a copy .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 355081

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 18:50

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 18:50
Personally I can't see any difference between the 100 and the 80 as far as requiring a Turbo Timer (maybe I'm wrong).
I would have one anyway, regardless.
I use the Silicon Chip/Altronics/Jaycar kit and it's brilliant. Simple, Flexiable, cheap and works a treat, even with Alarms and Imboilisors.
AnswerID: 96298

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:31

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:31
Jeff ,
As a mechanic I am a good fisherman , so I was not sure if there was some reason I had had to put one on the 80 and not on the 100 . I do know that they are not the same eigine .
Boy you have some gadgets on your car - that has got to be a serious challenge to the Roachie mobile !
Thanks for the TT info .
Willie .
FollowupID: 355082

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 19:37

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 19:37
Just idle your engine for a couple of minutes if its been under load. If you've cruised into town at 60km/h for the last 2 minutes don't bother. Save your bickies for something better.

(P.s I've got one, never really need it. Always sits switched off and I don't want to leave the car idling by itself in case someone thinks they can swipe it)

Been a post on turbo timers in the last month or so. Heaps of really good opinions and information suggesting its not really necessary with late model Turbos.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 96304

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 19:47

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 19:47
How far are they going to get if they steal it???

1. It's locked just like normal
2. the steering lock will come on.
3. After 2 mins the engine will die and the imobiliser will come back on.
4. If you have an alarm fitted it's armed even while the motor is still running.

The simple timer I use has a temp sensor that I screwed into the heatsheild above the turbo so it automaticall comes on when the turbo is hot and doesn't when it's cool. The kit's only cost about $50 bucks from Jaycar.
I also added a 10minute overide so I can crank the idle up and run the air con on those hot days before I put bubs in the steaming hot car. It runs for 10 minutes with the keys out, doors locked and alarm armed, I reckon it's tops.
FollowupID: 355076

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:20

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:20
D-Jack ,
I just did a search of the posts and it came up with two that just mentioned turbo timers in passing . I can't figure that out if you say there was big a discussion just recently .
I thought it was a bit odd that there had not been more discussion on this issue .
I will do the search again .
Thanks ,
Willie
FollowupID: 355079

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 22:54

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 22:54
Blokes,
There certainly was a post recently about timers.
I put my threepence worth in and suggested then (as I do now) that a Pyrometer (thermocouple unit) is a much more wise investment than a timer.
As stated already, simply reducing speed as you come back into a town etc, sees the engine/turbo temp drop quite rapidly and by the time you've cruised to your house etc, the temp is down to about 200c.
The only time you'd need to be careful is if, say, the cops pull you up when you've booting hooting along a bit too quick and order you to "get out of the car scumbag and shut the motor off" etc....hahaha
Cya's later
FollowupID: 355103

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:03

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:03
Roachie ,

What I am worried about is the following scenario .
Belting along the highway , SWMBO says she needs to stop for a whiddle , suddenly I see a good creek bed where I can look for rocks while having a leak and haul on the anchors to pull up .
Turn off the engine and hop out - one very hot turbo .
Problem ??? That's the question I need answered , because it's going to happen .

I notice that the " Roach Coach " is a TD .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 355200

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 20:21

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 20:21
Willie

If you need to take a piddle so bad you could eave the engine on. My point is that you don't need a TT, you can easily get around it. Its knowing when to idle your car to cool the turbo down, not if you can do it automatically or not.

D-Jack

FollowupID: 355215

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 22:47

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 22:47
Willie,
Like D-Jack says, no need to shut motor off as soon as u pull up. In fact I've always left my donk running if I'm only stopping for a few minutes (except if it's somewhere that some low-life scumbag might take a fancy to it).
As I said, I prefer to "drive" my truck according to the pyrometer now....it's truly eye-opening to see how much difference a gear change can make to engine temps.....IE: 100klm in 5th into a head-wind = around 450c.....drop her back to 4th cog, revs jump up, temp comes down!!! Go figure????
FollowupID: 355241

Reply By: Russ - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:32

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:32
Willie,
I posted the same question probably back in Oct. Here are the responses.

Andrew, I used to fit a lot of turbo timers in the country to turbo diesel Patrols. I think they were a brand called Bogart, we probably fitted around twenty or so and never had any problems with them. Having said that, do you need one? The timers I fitted were generally to Farmers Patrols, the utes were often used to tow boom sprays weighing between 2-4 tonne's, the others for some other form of heavy towing. This makes the turbo very hot (glowing) and without a cooldown period, the oil lubricating the turbo after shutdown gets cooked and there goes your seals and bearings! Unless you are towing or sand work, like the other guys said, you may not need one! If it were me I would probably prefer to have an exhaust pyrometer (temp gauge), then you can monitor the exhaust temp all the time to know if you have to idle for a couple to let things cool, these have the added advantage of being able to detect the early stages of engine problems as the exhaust temp rises before the water temp does! Many turbo tractors have these!
Hope this helps........................col

I like turbo timers (and I don't sell them, OK). Turbo-chargers run with extremely high temperature exhaust gasses running through them - 700 C or higher in some cases. The centre bearing of the turbo-charger is cooled and lubricated with engine oil, and AFAIK, most engine oils, even synthetics, deteriorate (i.e. burn) above about 130 - 140 C. If you are driving on the highway at 100 -110 km/h and pull straight into a servo, your EGT [Exhaust Gas Temperature] could well have been 400 C + before pulling in and still well over 300 C as your pull-up at the pumps. And the whole of the cast iron exhaust turbine housing will be at this temperature. Turning the engine off at this point subjects the now stationary oil in the turbo bearing to extreme temperatures and it 'cooks'.

Our Discovery had an ARB turbo-timer installed when we bought it second-hand and, while I have no connection to ARB, it's been an excellent unit. It has adjustable settings of 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 minutes and an override Stop button.

Since having an EGT gauge [and yes, I now sell these] , I've seen the sort of temps still in the turbo after a highway run and I'm very pleased I have a turbo-timer that lets me get out, lock the car and go into the roadhouse for a coffee while the engine idles down for 3 or 4 minutes until the turbo bearing is cool. [and yes, when we've been continuing on, we have had lots of strange looks from other customers and console operators while we sit in our Disco for 3 or 4 minutes at the pumps before turning-off the engine and filling up - hey, it my engine, OK]

If you are electronically inclined, you can buy and assemble very good quality turbo timer kits from Dick Smith, Jaycar, Altronics etc. If not, you're probably better off buying a fitted device from ARB or similar. If you are somewhere in between, I'd be happy to construct a 'kit' timer for you, that you install.
Thermoguard Instruments

I heard somewhere that as the turbo on the 100 t/d is oil cooled (not air cooled) a timer is not required.

Russ, the owners manual states the following:
normal city driving: idling time not necessary.
High speed driving about 80 km/h: idling time about 20 seconds.
High speed driving about 100km/h: idling time about 1 minute.
Steep mountain slopes or continued driving above 100km/h: idling time about 2 minutes.

If you are really worried, fit a pyrometer, and turn the engine off when exhaust temps hit 150. That's all I do. In QLD, turbo timers are illegal as it is also illegal to leave your car running when hoofing it into the shops, or getting some cash out!

I would recommend not fitting it as the quality of the Toyota handbrake is questionable after any bit of dirt gets near it so most of the time you will need to sit in the vehicle and have your foot on the brake anyway. In most cases by taking it easy for the last km or so it should be right to shut down when you stop.

Russ,
A note of caution on the turbo-timer. I have an LC 100 TD 2002 auto, (great vehicle) and had a turbo-timer fitted. My dealer advised me some time later that Tojo had been having trouble with the electronics with a number of these vehicles with turbo-timers fitted. Advice is that you stand a chance of spiking computer components as the electrics surge when the timer switches off (a little more technical than that, but that's the gist of it). They have replaced the dash on a number of vehicles, including mine, because a component has burned out. In my case, the res tank fuel gauge went fut. Tojo now says fitting a turbo-timer is a no-go, so your warranty may be effected. My turbo-timer is now sitting on my work bench, and I have to say I haven't missed it at all. After a while, leaving the motor running for a short while just becomes routine.

Regards
Russ

AnswerID: 96311

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:56

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:56
Thanks Russ , this is good stuff .
I still don't know why my search did not bring these up .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 355198

Sponsored Links