Lawn Hill or Adeles Grove

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 18:13
ThreadID: 20046 Views:3533 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,
We're planning a trip to Lawn Hill in early July and don't know whether to stay at Adeles Grove or stay at Lawn Hill. We will be staying for 3 nights in our Jayco Camper which has battery power for lights etc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: old-plodder - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 18:42

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 18:42
Last time we were there a couple of years ago we stayed at the national park campsite. Didn't see Adeles Grove so can't comment. Quite happy with national park. Clean but basic amenities. Right on the creek at the base of the gorge, so we could do an evening stroll. We tented it but there was space for camping trailers and vans. Ranger liked to put out the sprinkler and close down areas on a regular basis for regeneration, so most people had to move sites after 3 to 4 days.
AnswerID: 96297

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:38

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:38
We stayed at Lawn Hill and liked it as everything was close and you could do walks early morning, late evening etc We stopped in at the other place not bad either, few rapid you could perhaps go down but I prefer the national park - go have a look see before you decide - not far up road, just near turn off.
FollowupID: 355086

Reply By: Lyds - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 21:20

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 21:20
Is there something in the 99089690490893223480 (to quote truckster) topics on this that doesn't answer it for you?

nice place either way.
AnswerID: 96328

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 21:23

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 21:23
Hi Phils

Do a search here in the "Search" at the top, there is plenty of current info in there.

Can only inform you of what we enjoyed for June 2002/2004.
At Lawn Hill N.P. you must book at least 6 weeks early or earlier as they have limited spaces and get very busy in peak times.
As stated above, basic amenities (cold showers unless you lug hot water up to the cubicals), easy access to everything with in the gorge which is excellent for that and looks like you still have to move the tent every three days.
At Adels Grove same deal with booking if going in peak times.
It is very good and better than the N.P. as it's just like a camp ground with hot showers but no washing machines.
The camp sites are good and quite a number of them are shady but some aren't.
The grove part of it is very nice indeed but you will have to walk some distance to the amenities if you choose to camp in there.
Hope this helps.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 96329

Reply By: Lynn2 - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 21:41

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 21:41
Hi Phils,

We went to Lawn Hill NP in October 2004 and we chose to stay at Adels Grove. Given the temperature then - 40 degrees - we were very happy to have the shade offered by the trees in the Grove. We did look at the campsites in the NP - mostly dirt and small sites - and decided on Adels. The campsites in the Grove at Adels were completely shaded and on a bed of leaves - the sites in the NP were on dirt and a bit small, you also couldnt get your camper into many of the sites (as in a lot of NP camping areas). It also seemed a lot hotter to us here than in the Grove at Adels.

At Adels there were hot showers and access to a bar etc. It was a short drive to the NP for canoeing (the canoes at this time had to be booked and paid for at Adels anyway).

We could swim in the waterlily filled creek just in front of our campsite and did so even late at night because of the heat. Staying here did not detract from our bush walking, canoeing and exploring the NP in anyway and was much more pleasant than pretending roughing it is what it is all about.

Allow plenty of time here - the place is magnificent - you can portage your canoe up to the second level of creek and then canoe up to the "rapids". - The place is peaceful, serene and beautiful - wish we could afford to go back. Enjoy!
AnswerID: 96334

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:49

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:49
We stayed at Adels a couple of years back and I would have no hesitation in recommending that you stay there. It was extremely freindly, clean, had good hot showers, great shady camp sites for our camper trailer and was only a 10 min drive to Lawn Hill. The rangers at Lawn Hill gave the impression that they would be happy to completely exclude campers. ie., don't try to ring for a reservation after lunch, don't attempt to arrive to camp without a booking, don't have a hot shower, etc. Adels for me any time.

Happy trails, mike.
AnswerID: 96427

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:08

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:08
I agree stay at Adeles , in the grove if you can. They were developing more sites when we were there last Sept. They have a resident olive python just up the river a bit and saw a small freshy ( 4ft ) a 100 metres or so up the river but dont worry about them and they shouldn't worry about you !!!!. The N.P. is only a five minute drive and the canoe trip is amazing. I'm going back one day.

Athol.
AnswerID: 96439

Reply By: Phils - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:56

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:56
Thanks for the advice everyone,
I think I will make a booking at the Grove.

Thanks again,
Phil
AnswerID: 96458

Sponsored Links