Another Roads Question

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:49
ThreadID: 20057 Views:1434 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Again,
First of thanks everyone for all of the info I have received from previous posts. This site is a goldmine of Information. I am always telling people of the Explor oz website its real good for info.

Ok enough sucking up.

Can anyone give me any info on the following roads, eg if suitable for 2wd and what type of condition it was in last time they were there.

Buntine Hwy South of Katherine
Duncan Road comes out at Halls CRk
Tanami Road

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:58

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:58
Hi Craig,

The latest report from Halls Creek for the Duncan and Tanami is as follows: (These were published on the road conditions pages yesterday afternoon)

ROAD CONDITION REPORT
Wednesday 2nd February 2005
as at 08:15am

TANAMI ROAD
The Tanami Road is open to ALL VEHICLES.
Extreme caution advised.

DUNCAN ROAD
The Duncan Road is open to Nicholson and the Border.
CLOSED from Nicholson to the Negri.
Extreme caution advised.

From NT Road Report (current at 3/2/04):
Duncan Road/Buntine Hwy in the NT is open.

Victoria Hwy is as follows:
Between Katherine and Buntine Highway Intersection: Impassable Due to water over road at Scott Creek and various other locaitons

Victoria Highway At various locations between Buntine Highway Intersection and the WA border Extreme caution required Water over road and flood damage

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Juliana.
AnswerID: 96430

Follow Up By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 12:50

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 12:50
Hi Juliana,
Thanks for the Info.
I actually looked in the road conditions page last night but couldn't find them mentioned anywhere, I will go and have another prowl around I must have looked in the wrong place.

Cheers
FollowupID: 355158

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:14

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:14
Hi Craig,

A new report has just come through:
DUNCAN ROAD

The Duncan Road is CLOSED to the Border.
CLOSED from Nicholson to the Negri.

Regards,
Juliana.
FollowupID: 355168

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:50

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:50
what time of year are you looking to travel ? obviosly if these roads are wet during the wet season your van may struggle but as I mentioned before it is not just a 2wd it is a comercial vehicle and is built accordingly, certainly alot tougher than AWD and even some 4bys it will not fall apart on a rough road. My Nissan e20 was 20 years old and never failed to get me down any rough track. it took numerous big hits one along the transline when I wasnt watching and went down a washed out section and one taking the 4wd track from widgiemooltha to cave hill when I went down a hole - trust me it wont fall apart on you!
AnswerID: 96456

Follow Up By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 22:46

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 22:46
Hi Davoe,
Thanks for the info.
We are actually leaving on the 8th of Feb. We will slowly make our way up to Mackay and spend a bit of time at a friends place at Glenden before heading up to Charters Towers and up to Normanton and so on. We are not on any schedule so if its wet or roads are closed it doesnt matter we can wait.
Did any of your vans have the luggage space shaped into the roof above the cab?
Would it be strong enough to stash another spare wheel and maybe a small gas bottle? It has tie downs already attached to the roof.

Cheers
FollowupID: 355240

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:46

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:46
Do you not have a wind up spare underneath at the back? my e20 did but it only had a 45l tank so maybe you dhave a bigger tank and no room? but then where does your spare tyre normally go then, the only vehicles I have seen with the roo bar mounted spare is VW because they have no radiator. I had 2 bar roof rack going over the cab part as the pop top started further back. It is unclear with your photo if it is the same with yours. As I was by my self space was never an issue and the only thing I carried on the rack was a bike once.
FollowupID: 355295

Sponsored Links