Hilux 3.0DT hole in air duct??

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 12:16
ThreadID: 20063 Views:2529 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everybody,
I'm the proud owner of a new (1 month old) Hilux Double Cab 3.0 TD 4x4. I'm slowly getting it up to "my specs" for a 4x4 vehicle, fitting an ARB Bullbar, Warn winch, new centre console to hold all my radios etc. etc. etc
Anyway, in one of my investigative looks under the bonnet, I was grumbling about the size of the air cleaner housing. The thing is friggin' HUGE!... I thought I would practice getting the top off the housing to check the element and to my shock and horror I noticed a bloody big hole in the top of the air cleaner housing. On the back part of the duct that leads across the top of the engine, is a grommet that looks like it should have a hose or sensor in it, but it is empty and open to suck who-knows-what into the engine via the turbo.
What is the point of filtering out microscopic dust particles when you can fit a 6mm ball bearing in this hole??
Needless to say, I will be asking my friendly Toyota service people about this mystery when it goes in for the 1000 Km check.
Anyone else out there noticed this at all??
Regards,
Michael.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 12:23

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 12:23
There is a threaded rod that comes through the centre of the housing and a wing nut is attached to pull down the top cap of the assembly?? Is this what you are referring to??

AnswerID: 96432

Follow Up By: Michael Carey - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:13

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:13
No, this grommet is in the actual duct. The shaped duct that is "on top" of the lid of the filter housing (which has the bolt and wing nut) has the grommet in the back (facing the firewall). It's before the flexible part of the duct that leads to the rigid over-the-engine bit.
It's hard to describe when I don't really know the proper terms for each part of the duct, but it's in the bit that is attached to the lid of the air cleaner.
FollowupID: 355160

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 16:22

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 16:22
I wouldn't mind betting that it is associated with the sender unit that tells you when the air filter is blocked. Might be an idea to go down to the car yard and have a look at how it should be set up. Good luck with all your mods...sounds like you are having fun!! Cheers
FollowupID: 355188

Reply By: snowman - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:17

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:17
Hi Michael,
Just went and checked work Hilux, there shoud be some type of sensor in the hole(looks like temp. sensor maybe).Would suggest you visit Toyota ASAP before you do any more damage to your motor!!!
AnswerID: 96443

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:22

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:22
I remember having a similar problem with my Surf. There was a sensor that pushed into the grommet and after some careful looking I found it hanging down beside the engine. Some one had forgotten to put it back!
AnswerID: 96444

Reply By: Michael Carey - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:19

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:19
Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't actually driven the 'Lux for a few weeks, the dash is apart while I try to cram things in where they aren't meant to go.. eg. new sound system, Nokia car kit, Garmin GPS, Icom UHF, Icom HF, Icom dual band ham rig, switches, cables etc etc. Lots of stuff, very little room!! This thing will be a work of art when I am finished.....
AnswerID: 96451

Reply By: time waster - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:03

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:03
hi i had the same problem i opened the bonnet when i got home from the dealer and noticed the gromett and hole i reached down to the back and found a sensor hanging on a wire so i pushed it back in and went back to the dealer and he said it was forgot when they fitted the a/c,he was very apologetic and took photos of the tube for future warranty claims if it caused any damage down the track
AnswerID: 96477

Follow Up By: Michael Carey - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:59

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:59
OK, thanks for that. Upon further inspection I found it laying down the side of the engine. Must have been "forgotten" when my A/C was put in too ('Grumbles' as I have already filled out my customer satisfaction survey). I too will be making sure that this is put on record in case of any problem down the track. I know it didn't "fall" out 'cause the cable support clamp wasn't in the mounting hole in the duct.
I haven't done much 4x4 where there would be excessive dust ingestion but it doesn't take much to stuff an engine does it?
Does anyone from Toyota read this forum I wonder??
Regards,
Michael.
FollowupID: 355199

Sponsored Links