Repco 3-way fridge follow up - swapped!

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:51
ThreadID: 20069 Views:3463 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, quick follow up for those interested.

Received call from Repco to say that had received in a new fridge. I took in my current fridge (fridge only) and they swapped it over no questions asked. What's more, I only gave them the fridge and they gave me a whole new box with fridge, gas hose, cables, ice-tray etc etc. No paperwork, so signature nuthin'.

*smattering of applause for the good folks at Repco*

I decided to read the instructions this time and pretty much near the front is "Do not expose to rain". Oops, missed that one last time. I wonder if it getting 'a bit' rained on at our camp site had anything to do with performance? But fair dinkum, how can you promote a camping product with a "do not get wet or it will bugger up" restriction.

Anyway, will be plugging it in on gas tonight and will check it in the morning.

Better go, starting to sound like Wolfie.

Cheers,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fatz - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:12

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:12
Smockey,
all good news, hope this one work well, mines great.
AnswerID: 96460

Reply By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:38

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:38
smocky.. was it workinig better prior to the light 'wetting'?
AnswerID: 96465

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:44

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:44
Hey Mozza,

See that's the thing. It got a little wet whilst we were setting everything up. I never actually got to run it from gas prior to that point. Tested it at home on 240v and worked a beaut. Got all excited, told Priscilla (SWMBO) to expect some nice cold cheese and dips and then next day, cheese was at a not so cold 19C.

Fingers crossed for this one.
FollowupID: 355184

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:08

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:08
Sounds like an excellent result ...... I am sure it will work OK, I have friends with them & they are very good on 240v & gas, but average on 12v.
Remember it must be level, not almost level ..... LEVEL!
I would have thought it quite logical not to leave it in the rain, like other things we take camping should be kept dry .. like handheld radios, invertors, cameras etc.
AnswerID: 96479

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:59

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:59
I didn't leave it exactly out in the rain, it was under the tarp but on the side so as not to be in the way. After the first rain when we were still setting up, I noticed that it had got some splash from the ground and some drizzle from the wind blowing the rain around. Don't see how to stop this and still follow the "don't have indoors, keep 10cm away from anything else" rules. It needs air convection to work and if I leave it in the fresh air, it's likely to cop a LITTLE wet.

I've replied to level below, but yes I've taken steps to ensure it's level. There's a pic in my profile of the stand, although not a good one.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 355204

Reply By: Utemad - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:13

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:13
I'd never leave my car fridge out in the rain however my works Engel SS80 has spent many a day in the pouring rain in the back of a ute with no ill effects (that we know of).
AnswerID: 96480

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:44

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 17:44
Hey Smocky, As I've installed a 90mm dia fan in my Repco fridge that I bought from Jaycar for $20. I had to make up a bracket to mount the fan. If U want any details, I've took some pics.
Sparky
AnswerID: 96488

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:55

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:55
As you may have expected my friend, I'd love the pics. Send me a mem message and I'll give you my e-mail address.

I've already got the fan and was going to install to assist the 12v side. Hadn't figured out the wiring of the fan to the 12 volt plug without messing with the cable.

As for level, I built a custom stand with screw in legs that I can get VERY level (with spirit level).

Thanks heaps,

Jason.
FollowupID: 355203

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:23

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:23
Hi Smocky ,
I was at Repco Parramatta this week and a guy was just handing back a brand new Repco fridge because it would not cool anything . The saleslady gave him the " Ive had no trouble with these before " and said she would send it off for test / repair.
Was that you ?
Cheers ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 96496

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:35

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:35
I was there Wednesday afternoon around the time of the storms. Was there a sexy, shiny silver, Rodeo parked out the front of the store?

I've heard the "we've not had trouble with these before" plenty of times. I didn't even bother going in first, I rang them, said I'm coming to swap the fridge, it's a dud and do you have one in stock. Fortunately manager had answered the phone and arranged a replacement.
FollowupID: 355206

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 21:28

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 21:28
Smocky ,
I can't remember seeing your car . I had a silver Cruiser parked out the front with two aerials and a budgie on the bull bar . I spoke to the guy ( you ?? ) giving the unit back when he was at the counter and he said it was just a copy of a Chescold (I think ) so it should work .
Was that you Smocky i if it was we are old friends !!!!
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 355225

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 00:20

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 00:20
Hi Willie,

nope I don't think that was me. Would have been nice to have met someone from the forum, but there's always another opportunity. I don't remember talking to a female shop assistant. Just the guys at the back of the store. I wasn't in there all that long, but it was a bit hectic with the weather.

I'll catch you at some stage.

Cheers,

Jason.
FollowupID: 355263

Sponsored Links