New Trip Notes

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 16:18
ThreadID: 20071 Views:1535 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have just started adding trip notes from my trip around Australia in 1994! I was a bit younger then, and certainly had a different writing style, but I have attempted not to edit it too much. I have only added the first twenty days so far, from Melbourne to Lawn Hill National Park. Stage two, from Lawn Hill to Broome will be up soon. Hope you like it.

For links: 4wdadventureoz

Cheers

Glenn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: beatit - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 16:42

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 16:42
Thanks Glenn,

Just read your Simpson crossing sounded like a great trip. Looking forward to mine later this year.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 96474

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 16:28

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 16:28
Hi beatit,

Thanks for the feedback. You will love the Simpson, it is a beautiful part of Oz.

Cheers
FollowupID: 355348

Reply By: Casnat - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 00:05

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 00:05
Hi Glenn,

I have just had a browse over your site ... well done.

I also read the trip notes from your Simpson crossing and was particularly interested to note your references on a number of occasions to filling up on LPG. My vehicle is also LPG and one of the problems I have always faced when contemplating any trip too far from civilisation is the fact that you can't get LPG. I know you can in Coober Pedy but beyond there I don't think there is much, if any.

I would be very interested in how many jerries etc you carried and how you managed the range required with no means to refill any gas used.

For info my setup is 90 Ltrs LPG (useable) plus 40 Ltrs (questionable) petrol + jerries. When in an area where no gas is available I run on petrol for as long as possible keeping the gas as full as possible and top up the petrol reserves as often as I can but am still concerned with what range this gives me. Lets say 3 jerries giving 100 Lts petrol in total....won't be long before I have to start dipping into the gas reserves that I can't replenish.

I would be interested in your comments on how you achieved the crossing with an LPG vehicle.

Thanks
Trevor
AnswerID: 96564

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 16:49

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 16:49
Hi Casnat,

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as LPG goes, if you are crossing the Simpson, from West to East, nearest LPG is Coober Pedy and then Leigh Creek when coming from the South. I had replaced my main 90L tank with a 145L tank and also carried 40L in jerries. I had filled up LPG at Coober Pedy as emergency supplies. I also filled up the fuel tank at Mount Dare. The jerries were emptied asap to reduce weight on the roof rack. I made it into Birdsville with the yellow light just coming on, so I was very happy with that. when I topped up the fuel tank at Birdsville I worked out that I had 20 odd litres left in the fuel tank.

Since my last trip, I have removed the LPG system and returned to petrol only. I replaced the LPG tank with a 175L petrol tank. This should give me a range of approx 1600kms best case. I am preparing for trips in the WA desert regions within the next year of too, so that is why I have such large tanks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
FollowupID: 355351

Follow Up By: Casnat - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 17:40

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 17:40
Thanks Glenn,

When they fitted the LPG to my vehicle (previous owner) they replaced the 90 Lt main tank with a 110Lt gas tank (of which only about 90Lt is practically usable). The 40Lt aux tank remains unleaded.

I guess it depends on what vehicle you have. I understand on some they can add a gas tank without needing to remove either petrol tank. It sounds like you managed to retain your main tank on petrol.

It sounds like you used about 160 Lts on the crossing (145+40 less 20 or so left). If I have 100Ltrs petrol (aux +jerries) I could probably make it but would exhaust most of the gas also. This could not be replenished for the next leg is where my problem arises.

If I want to do any major trips it looks like I may have to consider converting back to petrol also. Pity because gas is such a benefit around town.

Cheers
Trevor
FollowupID: 355367

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 20:05

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 20:05
Hi Trevor,

Why they would replace the main fuel tank is a mystery, in fact madness. I was lucky that the previous owner of mine only removed the aux tank and spare wheel. My vehicle is a 1990 80 Series cruiser with a very thirsty 3F engine. You would be able to cross the Simpson no worries even if you had to use the LPG. If you are going down the Birdsville Track afterwards, there is fuel available at Mungerannie, that is approx half way down. Next stop would be Maree. I also use 10 Litre jerries that sit on the roof rack and therefore don;t sit too high. If you want to contact me further my addy is adminat4wdadventureoz.com

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 355395

Sponsored Links